Join for free
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 11:56 PM

Re: What if Scotland got their independence?

Well never say never mate. It's still here. $A1 = Sterling .56 at the moment so pretty much even exchange rate. (Parity is A$1 = .5 pound sterling) put it on your bucket list
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Indeed., as that's where I was born and now live. The Union of 1707 placed James the VI's of Scotland as James the 1st of the UK. Jimmy liked London more than Edinburgh, and I don't blame him. but it's been downhill ever since. I was in OZ 30 odd years ago, God know why I came back.
James VI / I was 100 years earlier than the date of unification. Queen Anne was on the throne at the act of Union having succeeded William of Orange.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 10:38 AM

I'm a bit disappointed with some Scottish who would rather leave the UK and take their chances with the EU......

Should that happen, perhaps the Romans will return and finish the job they started 2000 odd years ago....Together with the French, Germans, Dutch and Spanish....Maybe even the Russians might fancy a bit of the British Isles....And then Scotland might end up like Hong Kong...

Every time England gives someone independance it goes tits up.....People just don't know when they're well off....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I'm a bit disappointed with some Scottish who would rather leave the UK and take their chances with the EU......

Should that happen, perhaps the Romans will return and finish the job they started 2000 odd years ago....Together with the French, Germans, Dutch and Spanish....Maybe even the Russians might fancy a bit of the British Isles....And then Scotland might end up like Hong Kong...

Every time England gives someone independance it goes tits up.....People just don't know when they're well off....
The presumption that the European Commission, because that is what the EU actually is, would want Scotland to join the EU is somewhat in cloud cuckoo land.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
James VI / I was 100 years earlier than the date of unification. Queen Anne was on the throne at the act of Union having succeeded William of Orange.

Oops I always get that one wrong. 1603 Union of Crowns 1707 Acts of Union. We should still be in charge though Lol!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 12:25 PM

Oh dear, as soon as I saw this title, I thought:" where's your tin helmet" May and weedeek will be onto you!!.

I guess with my own feelings on Scottish Independence, I am going to make someone's eyes roll, but continue I will.

I think I understand the SNP's yearning for independence. ( I blame Mel Gibson making that Braveheart film!)

Seriously though, it cannot possibly be anything less than our own long painful waiting game to be free of the shackles of the EU. On that one single thing, I think both sides can agree.

Where the discord seems to start is over two of the most contentious things for the English, Welsh and Northern Irish side of the border.

The Barnett Formula, plus of course the free University tuition fees for Scottish students and European students, but not for those of us part of the Union - England, Wales and NI.

What we should realise however, is that if Scotland does gain independence and becomes a separate member of the EU, these two things would disappear at a stroke. Barnet Formula - gone, It could also be argued that England, Wales and NI then becoming "part of the rest of Europe" hence Scotland would be obliged to include us in free tutition fees.

This would cause problems for Scotland surely? At the moment, distance plus language barriers, plus other factors helps to limit EU students travelling to Scotland for their free tuition education, but this wouldn't be an issue for English, Welsh and NI students. Pay £9,000 plus this side of the border or get tutition for free by hopping on a once an hour train or 1/2 hour on a plane.Scottish Uni's would be flooded, hence perhaps of even preventing Scottish students from finding a place!

If this happened, I could also see Scotland appealing to the EU to try and stop this, other countries have tried and failed though, but it would all depend on how friendly England, Wales and NI were with the EU if and when that time came. (HELP!)

Maybe someone knows more about this if it was to happen.

I personally would be sad if Scotland broke away. not that that means anything to those wanting independence. We have shared a rich history between us, both in wars and peacetime, but then I am not Scottish, I know how I feel about the EU though, so I would not dare to assume how wrong SNP members feel about their quest. If it does happen, England, Wales and NI will carry on. Wales and NI could gain eventual independence. England would still happily carry on. That's life.

No-one really knows how Scotland would fare if they did go their own way, it's all supposition and goading by both sides whenever we try to discuss or debate it on OFF.
Who knows, Scotland could become a successful state on it's own. But the one thing they would have to realise is that they would be completely on their own. Once separated, just as with us and the EU, there would be no turning back, Scotland would be a member of the EU, and the Union just a long-ago memory.

It's the Scottish people's choice if there is another Indepedence referendum. One can only hope they make the right choice.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 12:52 PM

How would an independent Scotland ballance its budget?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 01:02 PM

Don't know AT, and to be honest, it would be nothing to do with us. No longer our problem.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

21-08-2019, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Don't know AT, and to be honest, it would be nothing to do with us. No longer our problem.
It's a question that never seems to be raised by the Scottish Nationalists though.

As for our problem I agree but you can just bet that some sandal wearing lentil weaving politically motivated left wing tw@'s will immediately want to make it ours.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Oh dear, as soon as I saw this title, I thought:" where's your tin helmet" May and weedeek will be onto you!!.

I guess with my own feelings on Scottish Independence, I am going to make someone's eyes roll, but continue I will.

I think I understand the SNP's yearning for independence. ( I blame Mel Gibson making that Braveheart film!)

Seriously though, it cannot possibly be anything less than our own long painful waiting game to be free of the shackles of the EU. On that one single thing, I think both sides can agree.

Where the discord seems to start is over two of the most contentious things for the English, Welsh and Northern Irish side of the border.

The Barnett Formula, plus of course the free University tuition fees for Scottish students and European students, but not for those of us part of the Union - England, Wales and NI.

What we should realise however, is that if Scotland does gain independence and becomes a separate member of the EU, these two things would disappear at a stroke. Barnet Formula - gone, It could also be argued that England, Wales and NI then becoming "part of the rest of Europe" hence Scotland would be obliged to include us in free tutition fees.

This would cause problems for Scotland surely? At the moment, distance plus language barriers, plus other factors helps to limit EU students travelling to Scotland for their free tuition education, but this wouldn't be an issue for English, Welsh and NI students. Pay £9,000 plus this side of the border or get tutition for free by hopping on a once an hour train or 1/2 hour on a plane.Scottish Uni's would be flooded, hence perhaps of even preventing Scottish students from finding a place!

If this happened, I could also see Scotland appealing to the EU to try and stop this, other countries have tried and failed though, but it would all depend on how friendly England, Wales and NI were with the EU if and when that time came. (HELP!)

Maybe someone knows more about this if it was to happen.

I personally would be sad if Scotland broke away. not that that means anything to those wanting independence. We have shared a rich history between us, both in wars and peacetime, but then I am not Scottish, I know how I feel about the EU though, so I would not dare to assume how wrong SNP members feel about their quest. If it does happen, England, Wales and NI will carry on. Wales and NI could gain eventual independence. England would still happily carry on. That's life.

No-one really knows how Scotland would fare if they did go their own way, it's all supposition and goading by both sides whenever we try to discuss or debate it on OFF.
Who knows, Scotland could become a successful state on it's own. But the one thing they would have to realise is that they would be completely on their own. Once separated, just as with us and the EU, there would be no turning back, Scotland would be a member of the EU, and the Union just a long-ago memory.

It's the Scottish people's choice if there is another Indepedence referendum. One can only hope they make the right choice.
Wasn’t going to comment any more on this thread as this has all been covered before but can’t help myself! Politically, Shropshire, you and I are far apart, which seems to mirror the politics of Scotland and England in general. However, I find the above a pretty reasonable post in general. (and in a reasonable tone). With Independence comes responsibility but at least we would be responsible for our own success or failure
Last word, off to lie in a dark room now!

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top