Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 08:35 PM

Re: Modern Cars.

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
did the Spitfire have the same offset pedals as say the herald did ? never worked on one myself.
I hired a compressor and spray gun but had the paint ordered to the original colour. Used nitromore to remove the old paint back to bare metal before rubbing down- masking up- adding primers and topcoat etc, that took longer than repairing the mechanics'

My first car was a 1954 Ford Anglia 100e, which was the middle of the ford range of popular-anglia-prefect. Remember it cost me £125. The excitment of having ones own first car, only just passed the test in 1962?
Wish I had gone for the zephyr/zodiac instead now
It did mate,

The spitty was basically a re-bodied Herald really.
I think my first car was a 2.0 V4 Capri...
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I envy you and others fender.

Much cleverer than me.

I cannot even put up a cooker hood without making a mess of it.
Where do you fit a cooker hood in a car.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
I think that's where Swims went wrong....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Above the Hob/Oven, where else?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Above the Hob/Oven, where else?
I was thinking on the front grill.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 12:21 PM

I spent many hours under my old cars when I was younger, have changed a gearbox a clutch and even fitted an engine without pulleys. These days I hardly lift the bonnet.

Manufacturers have purposely made it difficult for the DIYer to repair their own cars. I just happened to be looking at accessories for my car and an LED headlight can cost up to £700. That's for one, not a pair.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I spent many hours under my old cars when I was younger, have changed a gearbox a clutch and even fitted an engine without pulleys. These days I hardly lift the bonnet.

Manufacturers have purposely made it difficult for the DIYer to repair their own cars. I just happened to be looking at accessories for my car and an LED headlight can cost up to £700. That's for one, not a pair.
The same with me, except for removing or refitting an engine, far too heavy for one person! Nowadays I just check fluid levels once a week, I don’t really have to do that as they have sensors, even low tyre pressures are notified to the driver.

While having the ACC sensor re-calibrated recently on my VW Golf I was speaking to the Service Manager about the extortionate cost of that sensor. Had it needed replacing it would have cost £1,400 rather than the £450 to re-calibrate. As it was it was an insurance claim (see link at end as this was posted on OFF).

He was commenting that a front-end crash, not a really serious one, could actually write-off an older ‘modern’ vehicle: two new headlights £1,000 each, ACC sensor £1,400, plus new bumper, two new wings, new grille and a new bonnet and maybe new airbags as they can deploy at just 16mph. All in addition to any damage behind the bumper/wings which when considering how tight everything is to the bodywork could easily be possible, everything is designed to crumple anyway. All the above plus main dealer labour costs at £100 an hour!

The ever-decreasing value of cars, especially diesels, is also an issue. My own car, an unmarked 2014 VW Golf Blue Motion TDi 1.6 with 18,000 miles on the clock cost new around £23,000, it is now worth between £9,000 and £10,000 trade-in (depreciation £50 per week! ). So it wouldn’t take much to write that off considering the cost of parts and labour.

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthr...t=60026&page=8

https://www.reference.com/vehicles/m...58473d71eaa229
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-05-2019, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
The same with me, except for removing or refitting an engine, far too heavy for one person! Nowadays I just check fluid levels once a week, I don’t really have to do that as they have sensors, even low tyre pressures are notified to the driver.

While having the ACC sensor re-calibrated recently on my VW Golf I was speaking to the Service Manager about the extortionate cost of that sensor. Had it needed replacing it would have cost £1,400 rather than the £450 to re-calibrate. As it was it was an insurance claim (see link at end as this was posted on OFF).

He was commenting that a front-end crash, not a really serious one, could actually write-off an older ‘modern’ vehicle: two new headlights £1,000 each, ACC sensor £1,400, plus new bumper, two new wings, new grille and a new bonnet and maybe new airbags as they can deploy at just 16mph. All in addition to any damage behind the bumper/wings which when considering how tight everything is to the bodywork could easily be possible, everything is designed to crumple anyway. All the above plus main dealer labour costs at £100 an hour!

The ever-decreasing value of cars, especially diesels, is also an issue. My own car, an unmarked 2014 VW Golf Blue Motion TDi 1.6 with 18,000 miles on the clock cost new around £23,000, it is now worth between £9,000 and £10,000 trade-in (depreciation £50 per week! ). So it wouldn’t take much to write that off considering the cost of parts and labour.

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthr...t=60026&page=8

https://www.reference.com/vehicles/m...58473d71eaa229
Mad isn't it. My vehicle was recently written off because of the cost to repair, there was nothing wrong with it despite being twelve years old.

Again, if I was younger, I would have probably bought and fitted the parts myself. Spare wheel cover £700 Could this be why insurance is so expensive these days? I know for a fact that when they repair vehicles, they charge for new panels but use parts from the breakers yard and just spray them up.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Mad isn't it. My vehicle was recently written off because of the cost to repair, there was nothing wrong with it despite being twelve years old.

Again, if I was younger, I would have probably bought and fitted the parts myself. Spare wheel cover £700 Could this be why insurance is so expensive these days? I know for a fact that when they repair vehicles, they charge for new panels but use parts from the breakers yard and just spray them up.
I don't have a lot of comparison for my insurance so difficult to say it's expensive or not.

My insurance is through a broker, they always get me what seems to be a good deal. (I also insure my house and contents through them.) In fact the last claim I had was when that pheasant ran out in front of the car damaging the ACC sensor. Other than that I've had two windscreens replaced after being damaged, one on this VW Golf, another many years' ago. So just three small claims in 57 years. This time round after the pheasant incident my insurance came out at £355, an increase of £55 and that's for the VW Golf. My other car, insured as a classic with an Agreed Valuation of £6,750, costs me about £90 a year for 1,500 miles a year.

All this new technology and the costs of that in claims if damaged plus the spares 'rip-off' probably is responsible for ever-increasing insurance premiums, not overlooking of course those who drive without insurance so costing every insured driver £30-£50 more annually on their premiums!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-05-2019, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I don't have a lot of comparison for my insurance so difficult to say it's expensive or not.

My insurance is through a broker, they always get me what seems to be a good deal. (I also insure my house and contents through them.) In fact the last claim I had was when that pheasant ran out in front of the car damaging the ACC sensor. Other than that I've had two windscreens replaced after being damaged, one on this VW Golf, another many years' ago. So just three small claims in 57 years. This time round after the pheasant incident my insurance came out at £355, an increase of £55 and that's for the VW Golf. My other car, insured as a classic with an Agreed Valuation of £6,750, costs me about £90 a year for 1,500 miles a year.

All this new technology and the costs of that in claims if damaged plus the spares 'rip-off' probably is responsible for ever-increasing insurance premiums, not overlooking of course those who drive without insurance so costing every insured driver £30-£50 more on their premiums! :-(
I agree. Plus they were falling over themselves to give me a hire car, I just wanted something to get me around until I sorted another vehicle but they insisted on a new BMW3 sport... totally unnecessary but somewhere along the line, it has to be paid for.

I hated it, when I opened the door, I fell out.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top