Join for free
Page 16 of 17 « First < 6 14 15 16 17 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 05:32 PM

Re: Cats and Idiots.

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
As you know solicitors charge you for taking a deep breath and it’s only a small area but I feel sick that this AH has put me in this position .

This is what he is creating about the green bit .
As most people know water and soil combine and do rot wood that is the nature of fences unless maintained on a regular basis .
I can understand you not wanting to get involved with solicitors, though you can ask for nothing.

On the other hand, if that fence is on your land, or even bordering your land, you have every right to water your adjacent plants and sod the rotting fence.

If I were you, I'd water them heavily every day and watch the fence rot.

Before he replaces it, though, make sure you put up some trellis or, better still, a shed backing right up to it. You don't want him to nick any more of your land!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Straight question Ripple - do sellers have a legal duty of responsibility to mention possible boundary disputes during the process?
When you're selling up there's quite a few questions that deal with boundaries, never mind disputes with neighbours.

For instance, do you know who is liable for or owns each and all of your boundaries ... though there's a handy 'don't know' in the list of answers.
If I remember rightly they also ask if the boundaries have ever changed or altered too.
The questions they ask now are pretty exhaustive.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 05:43 PM

https://www.trentwoodfencingoxfordsh...-good-side.htm

Most fence panels and gates have one side that’s more attractive than the other – one side is usually smoother, displaying the best features of the design; the other is where the supporting posts and rails can be seen (not quite so pretty!).

You’ve probably always assumed that the nicer side of the fence should face into your own garden, and why wouldn’t you if that boundary is your responsibility and you’ve paid for it?

So you might be surprised to learn that it’s not unknown for neighbours to voice some strong opinions on the matter, and even to insist that the “good” side should face their own garden.

So are there any rules about which side of the fence should face you and which should face your neighbour?

Usually, the answer is “no”, though there may be exceptions, which we’ve outlined below. If the boundary between you and your neighbour’s garden is your responsibility (check your property deeds) and you are paying for the fence, it can face any direction you like.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 05:49 PM

Cinders post is correct about which side faces your neighbour. Also the posts (where applicable) have to face your side too.

So in other words, we get the rough side of the fence and the posts too!

Muddy, for what it's worth and as others have said, I doubt very much whether your watering has got anything to do with the fence rotting at all.

Doesn't he Ronseal the wood anyway?

Also, how old is this fence we're talking about?
If it's been there 50 years I'd expect it to be falling apart!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Cinders post is correct about which side faces your neighbour. Also the posts (where applicable) have to face your side too.

Could be where the saying 'take the rough with the smooth'
originated.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 05:59 PM

Muddy, for what it's worth and as others have said, I doubt very much whether your watering has got anything to do with the fence rotting at all.

It’s only been there coming up five years ( there was nothing wrong wit( the fence that was there that we had put up ) but it’s a cheapo fence nothing fancy wiltshire a boggy old place the soil is clay .
I am afraid he is simply an unpleasant underhand individual .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
It’s only been there coming up five years ( there was nothing wrong wit( the fence that was there that we had put up ) but it’s a cheapo fence nothing fancy wiltshire a boggy old place the soil is clay .
I am afraid he is simply an unpleasant underhand individual .

I understand.
I have a neighbour the same.
Wonder if they are related?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 06:21 PM

I THINK that the side with the support poles on is no longer a reliable and legal indication of fence ownership.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Straight question Ripple - do sellers have a legal duty of responsibility to mention possible boundary disputes during the process?
If the boundaries form part of a dispute a dispute where letters have been exchanged you would have to.
Other than that you need to ask a solicitor .
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2021, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I THINK that the side with the support poles on is no longer a reliable and legal indication of fence ownership.
Agreed. It'll be written down somewhere in some arcane document.

If one were building a single brick width wall (circa 200mm thick), then the centre line of that should match the centre line of any party wall. A similar view should be taken using the boundary as the theoretical centre line of any party wall where there isn't one (eg in the space between semi detached houses).

Above all, if at all possible, actually speaking with ones neighbours before putting up a fence so that an agreement is in place seems an eminently sensible thing to do.

In my garden, I replaced fences along both boundaries at my own cost. Speaking to the relevant neighbour who should have done one side was beneficial, and we agreed a line to follow.

Page 16 of 17 « First < 6 14 15 16 17 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top