Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 11:25 AM

Re: Spain Threatens Boots on the Ground in Gibraltar

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Three things.
3. Common sense prevails and the original agreement as decided between Gibraltar, Spain and the UK is formalised and enforced.
We know that, they know that, the media know that is what will happen. The point of it all beats me.

Silly season has started, the political (kids) are on holiday.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
We know that, they know that, the media know that is what will happen. The point of it all beats me.

Silly season has started, the political (kids) are on holiday.
I think that the point is that the EU simply cannot resist using the "stick", especially in this case when they are probably jittery over Northern Ireland and are hoping that this Gibraltar episode will somehow persuade the UK to give in to their bullying.

The same tactics are failing the EU in multiple instances including Poland, Hungary, Belarus, Turkey, etc. etc. etc. but as is the EU way they just will not learn that often the carrot is better than the stick.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
One of two things will happen:
1. War (evens)
2. Boris will back down (10-1)

Seriously, if the EU Army decides to step in and seize the territory, won't they be in breach of international law?

And if so, will we then be at war with the EU?

I wonder on whose side America will come in.
Spain have wanted to get their hands on Gibraltar since the Treaty of Utrecht was signed in the 1400's.

Franco's fascism still lives on in Spain and the constant breach of international laws by the Spanish have ranged from trying to block the airport, frustrating the border and sailing their warships into our territorial waters. I remember way back when the EU-UK negotiating position was originally written and back then, the EU backed Spain and put a clause in (Section 23 I think ?) which stated that a separate trade agreement will be negotiated after the UK withdrawal from the EU. We've known about this since 2016 ... its nothin new.

My own solution (if anyone is interested) would be to do the following (in order).

1. Give Gibraltar a representative in Westminster (an MP). This would change the status of Gibraltar from a territory to a devolved UK nation and it would have all the UK rights we give to Wales and Scotland etc. It would effectively make Gibraltar a region of the UK, giving them a say and a vote in Parliament. (We should do the same for the Falklands too).

2. Petition to move the Spain/Gibraltar border 30Km back into Spain so that Spanish and Gibraltarian workers commuting would not be affected by Spanish border guards locking access into and out of Gibraltar.

3. Remove all access from UK territorial waters to Spanish boats and Spanish flag boats, then expand it to the French and then the Danish if Spain still tries to frustrate the border in Gibraltar.

That would be a good start ...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top