Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 02:38 PM

Mattresses

|I have a feeling we had a thread on here once before about this, but not sure now?

Mattresses. How long should we expect a decent one to last?
Do we really need to replace them ' every 8 years' like the adverts tell us, or is that totally unecessary if they are looked after, clean, and turned reguarly?

How long have you had your present mattress, and is it showing signs of wear yet?

How do we tell for certain when it's day is done and do we really need to buy a new base every time, or is that just what the salesmen want us to believe?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 02:56 PM

Re: Mattresses

I could do with a new mattress, mine is so hard it's uncomfortable, but it's not a standard size bed being 6'3" long.
The bed is an electric one & a single plus another single made up as a double with independent controls.
I only sleep in one bed, the other holds my cuddly toys.
The beds are less than 5 years old, bought for late OH to help him sleep better, didn't work though & he hardly slept in his side. He spent most of his last year in a reclining chair in the living room, by then he couldn't manage the stairs anyway.

So I would change it if I could get a different mattress, but need to find where from.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I could do with a new mattress, mine is so hard it's uncomfortable, but it's not a standard size bed being 6'3" long.
The bed is an electric one & a single plus another single made up as a double with independent controls.
I only sleep in one bed, the other holds my cuddly toys.
The beds are less than 5 years old, bought for late OH to help him sleep better, didn't work though & he hardly slept in his side. He spent most of his last year in a reclining chair in the living room, by then he couldn't manage the stairs anyway.

So I would change it if I could get a different mattress, but need to find where from.

Gosh, that's a tricky one Tiff, especially if it's not that old.
Any idea what you'd like this time, or do you need to look around more?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 03:06 PM

Not really, the bed I use is useful, it's easy to change the fitted sheet, just put the bed upright & if I get reflux it works for that too, but the mattress, yes, it needs to be softer.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 03:08 PM

Hi mups . Mine is now about 13 yrs old . I have a whole king size to myself . It's a memory foam mattress and it's like sleeping on a cloud . I would always buy the same again . My bed and mattress cost me then £500 which was a lot of money for me but it's been worth it

I've heard that there are mattresses you can buy on internet but I wouldn't advise . Seems these mattresses are great for a while then they sag , there is one called a girls name ( wont say it in case I'm shot ) they offer 60 nights free trial . Seems after those 60 nights and further in they sag . Someone tried it and asked for refund a couple of weeks in and they were told they had to arrange the return delivery themselves. Also if bought to go on a slatted base the slats must measure a certain width or they wont accept a return. Lots of little probs online .

Best go to a good bed shop .

Edited to add . My sister slept in it and shes much bigger than me , after 2 weeks and returning to my beloved bed I turned the mattress because I thought I might fall into a memory hole I was pleased it was still in perfect memory of me !
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 03:11 PM

I replaced my mattress last year, and when I walked into the showroom, I suddenly felt like I was purchasing heavy industrial equipment.

Long gone are the plush, cool mattresses of reasonable depth and weight that can be flipped, rotated, and easily made.

Now they are as thick as they are wide, heavy enough to need a weightlifter to properly tuck in the corners, and tall enough to need a ladder.

Not even my dogs like the aircraft carrier bed that I no longer "sleep in" but rather "lie upon." At least all of my childhood days of camping on the cold hard ground prepared me for something.

Any day now, I expect I will have elbow and knee wear akin to the calluses on my dogs' elbows.'

Mine has a 20 year warranty. Perhaps they think I intend it to be a burial platform?

I'd rather sleep in the hammock.

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 03:13 PM

I would love a new mattress - but am having problems ( was looking before lock down) finding one without 'memory foam' all over it. Loathe that stuff - sorry Susan - but it is not for me.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

14-08-2020, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I would love a new mattress - but am having problems ( was looking before lock down) finding one without 'memory foam' all over it. Loathe that stuff - sorry Susan - but it is not for me.

Me neither, Tabbs - sorry from me too, Susan.

* Susan, did I understand that right - you turned your memory foam mattress over?
I am sure with my one it said you could turn them round - (top to toe - but must not turn them right over?
Have I misunderstood?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 03:31 PM

You know your old Mups, when the Bedframe lasts longer than the mattress.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

14-08-2020, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
You know your old Mups, when the Bedframe lasts longer than the mattress.

Ah well Spitty, no one has answered my question about that yet.
Is it ok to just change a mattress, or is it best to change the base at the same time?

* Now behave yourself for a minute and answer my question Sir.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top