Join for free
Page 3 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 01:35 PM

Re: Enid Blyton For the Chop.

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
That's a relief, I thought it might just be me.
I have 3 possible meanings Harbal, but could do with some further guidance from him rather than trying to second guess.

Never had this sort of problem with Enid's prose
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 01:36 PM

What !
How can this be ? it’s obvious to me English Heritage hasn’t got enough to think about.
Yes the golly and his family were naughty but one toy had to be naughty in the Amelia Jane and Noddy Books until he got replaced .
In my naughty little sister books the naughty sister wasn’t black .
I read most of the EB books to my children including when older famous five and secret seven .

I’ve still got my Robinson golly band somewhere .
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ripple ->
What !
How can this be ? it’s obvious to me English Heritage hasn’t got enough to think about.
Yes the golly and his family were naughty but one toy had to be naughty in the Amelia Jane and Noddy Books until he got replaced .
In my naughty little sister books the naughty sister wasn’t black .
I read most of the EB books to my children including when older famous five and secret seven .

I’ve still got my Robinson golly band somewhere .
There was a whole load of hullabaloo about the seemingly unhealthy relationship between Noddy and Big Ears a while ago.

Here's a wild fact for you...my mother in law lives in a retirement flat in Cosgrove Hall, which is on the site and (thus) has the same name as the film company that used to make Noddy cartoons. Small world, eh?

Edit- the name Cosgrove Hall is not as grand as it sounds. It's the amalgamation of the names of the two blokes, Cosgove and Hall, who set up the company
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 01:44 PM

All this Black v White stuff is rapidly heading towards more race riots.

It is breeding hatred, not healing it.
And some black people are milking it for all its worth.

I see big trouble looming.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 01:48 PM

So...they go on about black people being portrayed in old classic literature, and ban it yet make a drama about a historical (nearly wrote hysterical then!) white queen and make her black, as in Anne Boleyn. Figure that one out!
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I see big trouble looming.
Stop it, Mups, you're frightening me.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
I have 3 possible meanings Harbal, but could do with some further guidance from him rather than trying to second guess.

Never had this sort of problem with Enid's prose
English is not Beosekers first language, please be kind to him

(That was meant for Harbal, not Dex, sorry Dex)
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

17-06-2021, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
English is not Beosekers first language, please be kind to him
He's a highly skilled and educated engineer, and is used to using precise and concise language.

Edit. Just saw your edit Pixie. No problems
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
Stop it, Mups, you're frightening me.

Tabs
- he'll need a pill in his tea this afternoon.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

17-06-2021, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
So...they go on about black people being portrayed in old classic literature, and ban it yet make a drama about a historical (nearly wrote hysterical then!) white queen and make her black, as in Anne Boleyn. Figure that one out!
"Two blacks don't make a white" is a well known phrase. I suppose we need to avoid it from now on due to possible connotations of white supremacy.

Page 3 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top