Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 10:57 AM

Storing the produce.

Judging by the amount of potatoes I got from one small plant pot I'm going to have an awful lot of spuds when I harvest my 4 huge tubtrugs.

I reckon there'll be enough potatoes to last me a couple of months.

How do I store them to last?

What can I do with them?

Any idea's please?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 11:01 AM

Re: Storing the produce.

Well, I dry my chillies then grind them up into a powder, you could try that.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 11:05 AM

I'll remember that if I grow any chillies Bruce.

So what do you do with your potatoes - seriously!!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I'll remember that if I grow any chillies Bruce.

So what do you do with your potatoes - seriously!!
I put them in a plastic bin with holes in in the kitchen but they don't last long because I only buy about two or three at a time.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 11:17 AM

Having watched Clarkson's farm, one way seems to be chopping the leaves of the plants off and leaving them in the soil. This, it is claimed, means you can leave the potatoes in the soil for a few weeks and they will develop a bit of a thicker protective skin.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

17-07-2021, 11:27 AM

I vaguely remember that my old man, who grew potatoes by the tonne on his allotment, used to brush them clean, pile them up, cover them with a layer of straw then soil.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 11:36 AM

FWIW.............and I'm a farmer's boy.....
We grew potatoes by the acre. We stored them in long rows in a pyramid shape, covered them with a thick layer with straw, then covered them with a layer of earth. They lasted that way until the spring.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 11:37 AM

Keep the light and sun off them, or they will go green, that green is poisonous, especially if your pregnant.

The are better in the dry so if you bury them keep them them dry.or they will mould.
I have veggie draws and can keep enough in there for a couple of weeks at least..not shop bought, they go off pretty fast...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 12:11 PM

Hi Carol,

There's some really useful information here. As you scroll down the page, you find the info on how to store new potatoes.

https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/vege...vest-store.php
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
FWIW.............and I'm a farmer's boy.....
We grew potatoes by the acre. We stored them in long rows in a pyramid shape, covered them with a thick layer with straw, then covered them with a layer of earth. They lasted that way until the spring.
Best advice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top