Join for free
madmare
Essex UK
madmare is female  madmare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2011, 09:26 AM

Hrt

Yesterday I had an appointment at the hospital with the gynachologist.
They gave me two lots of treatment, one she explained what it was and I was happy with the other she didn't explain but from what she did say I thought I knew what it was for.
Anyway last night before taking it I read the leaflet and found it was HRT. The leaflet was quite scary to read with all the problems and side effects you can get from HRT and I remember hearing in the news and on tele years ago that it can often be more dangerous to take it than to not.
It also says it can make you put on weight and you shoudn't take it if already well over weight which I most certainly am, although I am trying to slowly lose it, I am struggling, the doctor should have seen I was well overweight straight away, I also have problems with fluid collecting around the knee area of one of my legs and it said about fluid retention. It said about heart problems and I suffer with palpitations and chest pain for which i have medication and she didn't ask any of this.
Consequently I didn't take it last night as I didn't know if it was right for me. I want and need to sort out the problems I went there for as they are making life very difficult at the moment. We are also presuming I am going through the menopause as although I still have my ovaries I had a hysterectomy 14 years ago so I won't actually know exactly when I am going through the change.
Do any of you take HRT?, how have you found it? Has it helped? Or has it caused you problems?
I really feel stuck between a rock and hard place at the moment as I know I need it to get a better quality of life back but at the same time I don't want to get worse problems or die from taking it.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2011, 09:48 AM

Re: Hrt

Goodness, Bev that seems serious. I haven't taken HRT so I hope someone who has more info comes on to advise you. I sometimes wonder whether the doctors at the hospitals ever talk to our GPs or read our notes? They seem to have their own agenda. Don't blame you for not taking it yesterday until you find out more.
Nippy
South Devon
Nippy is female  Nippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2011, 10:32 AM

Oh dear Bev I think you did right not taking it, at least until you have spoken to someone.
I did take HRT and it made me feel very well. All the horrible symptoms of the menopause disappeared.
However I developed cancer of the uterus and was told to stop taking the HRT immediately.
Now, no one will blame the cancer on the HRT but in my head it is that that caused it.
Sorry to scaremonger and you don't have a uterus anyway so there is no probs there.
Hope you get sorted soon.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2011, 10:46 AM

No experience of this but just wanted to ask you that if you do decide to take it, please check it is the chemically produced stuff, not the one extracted from pregnant mares as this is done in a very cruel way.
x
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2011, 01:06 PM

I think you need to contact the Gynae. Dept. and ask what the HRT was prescribed for Madmare and get some idea of how long you will be taking it. If not the hospital, go and speak with your GP. You may have described some symptoms which indicated prescribing HRT.

Without knowing your problems it is difficult for anyone to be able to advise you effectively. HRT has its positive side and depending on what it was prescribed for, does not have to be taken orally - it can be a cream or suppository.

When I first started my menopause I took HRT for about two years and I think it helped, particularly as I was working full-time and needed to keep on top of things.

If you are not sure or are not happy about it, I would say don't take it - but please go and get further explanation as to what it was prescribed for. Best wishes.
madmare
Essex UK
madmare is female  madmare has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2011, 08:30 PM

Thanks everyone and its ok Claire its synthetic.
I know why they gave it to me its because I have been suffering incontinence and apparently after examinations and tests its revealed its due to me going through the change and the hormone imbalance so I need HRT to balance me back up and stop the incontinence.
I have been and seen my GP today and she said as its not one I take orally it should be safer as it won't be absorbed into the bloodstream so much and because of my problems I do need it to put a stop to them.
So I'm still nervous but I think I am going to have to give it a go so will start it tonight.
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2011, 03:56 AM

Hello Madmare, Sorry to hear about your health problem. Scary for you reading about those side effects, but sensible to wait and query your doctor about it.

Glad too to hear the medication is synthetic, as disgraceful the way the mares are kept in order to obtain the chemical.

Although I realise that the Menopause can affect women in ways that they do feel the need for medical assistance, but purely from my own consideration of this .... Being that it is natural (and not a disease) so if oestrogen is supposed to decrease, is it really ok to re-add it????

Again, personally, if it is possible to keep reminding oneself that you are not ill, but experiencing something natural, I would like to try and ride it out ..... Or find something more simple and not drastic, to help any symptom that at the time was causing distress.

Rainbow x

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top