Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2011, 01:03 AM

He or She is a Rescue Dog!!!!

Why does it seem that practically the very first thing that someone wants to tell you about their dog, is that he/she is a Rescue????? So What!!!

I got to know someone very well over a period of time, and it was not until some time later that she mentioned that both her children were adopted. They both knew as well, it was no secret, but it was not the most important aspect about their family relationship.

I personally feel the same regarding dogs......

Rainbow
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2011, 02:24 AM

Re: He or She is a Rescue Dog!!!!

I think it's because people want to send out a signal that it is a 'good' or dare I say it, better, thing to do. Some might argue it's working (or at least helping), as more and more people seem to rescue these days.
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2011, 02:57 AM

I understand what you mean Azz, and some folk do want to convey the bonus of re-homing a dog. However, this does not always appear to be the case.

Dogs finding a new home is important and wonderful, but I do sometimes experience the Owner's personal need to express something either about themselves, or a reasoning explanation unconnected and therefore excusable to certain responsibility.

Rainbow
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2011, 03:16 AM

I guess it would depend on why they're doing it - but most people I know, are more than likely doing it (sub consciously perhaps) because they want to perpetuate it; so others go on to rescue too.
buddi bo
lincs
buddi bo is female  buddi bo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2011, 10:56 AM

I would suspect that some folks do it to , 1, make them selves look good , 2, excuse any bad behaviour (in the dogs that is ) that they have not been able to sort out ..
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Rainbow ->
I understand what you mean Azz, and some folk do want to convey the bonus of re-homing a dog. However, this does not always appear to be the case.
I do sometimes experience the Owner's personal need to express something either about themselves, or a reasoning explanation unconnected and therefore excusable to certain responsibility.
Rainbow
Perhaps you are really thinking certain people should not be having a dog, any dog, because of their life style or general ignorance of the basics of dog ownership. Those types may well emphasize that they have a rescue to divert attention away from their unsuitability to own a dog

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I guess it would depend on why they're doing it - but most people I know, are more than likely doing it (sub consciously perhaps) because they want to perpetuate it; so others go on to rescue too.
A form of advertising, I agree maybe that is their sub-conscious motive. I don't really see a problem in that, the big aim of all advertising agencies is to get to the point where there is 'self momentum' and everyone is aware of the product or message and copying it in jokes and slogans.

Currently the 'momentum' is with the Meercats, a combination of luck and witty jingos has put that one in the publics mind, wouldn't it be nice if the 'Rescue a dog' jingo had the same effect.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rainbow ->
Why does it seem that practically the very first thing that someone wants to tell you about their dog, is that he/she is a Rescue????? So What!!!

I got to know someone very well over a period of time, and it was not until some time later that she mentioned that both her children were adopted. They both knew as well, it was no secret, but it was not the most important aspect about their family relationship.

I personally feel the same regarding dogs......

Rainbow

Why does it bother you?
And it obviously does.

I tell people my dogs are Rescues because people are generally surprised you can get such beautiful dogs from Rescue kennels. It has prompted many conversations about the benefits of owning a Rescue dog - such as the availability of backup and continuing support - and also owning a gorgeous Pedigree that I would never be able to afford otherwise.

Why do you put such provocative threads up?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
Why does it bother you?
And it obviously does.

I tell people my dogs are Rescues because people are generally surprised you can get such beautiful dogs from Rescue kennels. It has prompted many conversations about the benefits of owning a Rescue dog - such as the availability of backup and continuing support - and also owning a gorgeous Pedigree that I would never be able to afford otherwise.

Why do you put such provocative threads up?
Well said claireandaisy. My dogs have always been rescues, and I also have both adopted and step children. I tend to tell people this because I have pride in how they have overcome their poor start in life, sometimes against all odds.

I didn`t realise that made me a bad person!
Rainbow
Surrey UK

30-01-2011, 06:20 PM

For the record, in order to clarify, people are bothered by various aspects and situations in life. What bothers one person will not necessarily bother another, and this is one that bothers me! (only a bother, not on the warpath)!

I apologise Claire if this Thread has offended you. Obviously, people’s reasons for announcing their dog is from Rescue, will naturally vary. But like anything there is quite often the ‘right time and place‘.

My point, was being aware that with most Owners this was the first thing they wished me to know.

Yes, during a conversation, it can be interesting to hear that a dog was in fact from Rescue, but the main thing is that the dog is now part of the new family and loved because of who he/she is, not because of being an Orphan!

But equally I do not believe that a large number of folk are saying this as a form of deliberate advertising to encourage others to do likewise. (Consider certain Events that are raising funds for a specific Charity, yes some people will go along for the purpose to support a good Cause, but others would not necessarily know or be interested in the cause but purely the Event itself)!

Some people also unfortunately lean on excuses for any inappropriate behaviour of their dog based on that; "He/she is a Rescue"!!! (From further conversation it becomes evident that the Owner is often perhaps without realising, escalating the issue or ignoring the issue or cannot be bothered to face the issue)!!

Let us also remember that not all dogs in Rescue Establishments are there because of a previous abusive home environment. Some had lovely homes and owners who understood their needs, but unexpected and sad circumstances brought about the dog’s requirement for re-homing.
(Perhaps the new home in fact - if compared - might not be as good as the previous one was)!

Homing a dog in need is wonderful. (Particularly enjoyed reading about a Member Nippy who re-homed Pepsi a 10 year old dog. Especially, as very sadly, a lot of people only want the younger ones!

With reference to Plantman’s message, I am not sure if your comments were seeking some kind of ’well done acknowledgement'? There would be a very long list indeed for the amount of people who help and rehabilitate dogs with their time and commitment, quietly and unproclaiming.

Surely, personally knowing that you have found the right dog for your family, is enough, isn’t it?

(Please note, that I hope you are not suggesting that I consider you or anyone else on this Forum a "bad person")?!!

Claire, Why are you suggesting my Thread(s) plural, as being provocative? (In fact, was it not yourself who considered the Threads too light-hearted)?

Are you only seeing and reading what suits your purpose? It may therefore help for you to read all my Threads and responses to other Members Threads - I would be surprised if you found them “provocative”!

I can assure you it is not my purpose to provoke, as hopefully my input would demonstrate.

However, if you feel this Thread is such, then I will be pleased to give permission for it to be moved to the Debate Section, (which personally does not seem unnecessary).

Rainbow
Nippy
South Devon
Nippy is female  Nippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2011, 06:40 PM

It's not the first thing I tell people but I always drop it into the conversation
This is because I have been so proud of my dogs not the fact that I am rescuing or maybe it would be better to say adopting a homeless dog. I have to say that I used to bore everyone to death about my children when they were small too and no they weren't adopted
I have had 6 dogs during my 40 years of marriage, only 1 of those was bought from a breeder all the others were adopted.
Glad you liked hearing about Pepsi, the chances are you will hear a lot more yet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top