Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2011, 02:22 AM

Positive vibes for Rocky please

Hey Guys, hope you are all well. Some of you have probably seen my post on Dogsey, but as I know many of you here ask about Rocky too I am posting here as well. I'll cross post what I posted on Dogsey....

Poor Rocky had to have a biopsy a few days ago, and today we went back for his follow-up just to make sure he's healing ok. (To begin with we thought the bump was a haematoma - but as it didn't go down the vet thought a biopsy was needed.)

The results are not due back until next week, but I had a chat with the vet and unfortunately things are not looking too great :?

When he started doing the biopsy he first thought it was just fat, but had to go deeper and deeper and discovered it was a tumour under muscle he said it bled quite a lot and even if it's benign (not cancerous) - he would prob advise to just leave it, as Rocky is fine in himself.

Unfortunately if it is cancerous it might prove difficult as he said it would be quite tough to get around it all - but we're not thinking about that too much until the results come in.

I did ask him what he thought it might be, and he said it looked like a tumour (unfortunately one that is often cancerous) that they commonly find on the spleen (tho it's not actually on Rocky's spleen) but stressed that that's only a guess and we have to wait for the results to be certain.

Here he is showing off his cut and buster collar.

Anyone else been through similar? Know what our options might be? I can't help by feel sad - been crying all day

Something I haven't said publicly on the site before is Rocky is also epileptic - he had his first fit when he was 6 months old and has been on 2 x 60mg Ephiphen (Phenobarb) twice a day ever since - he's been fit-free for about 5 years tho (soon as we increased the dose to 2x60mg they stopped - although were greatly reduced soon as he started medication). At the time I thought it wouldn't be fair on the breed/breeder to mention it publicly and then it never really cropped up. Anyway I feel like getting it off my chest now

Sorry to anyone who's PM'd or left a feedback thread - it might take me a while to reply.
Rainbow
Surrey UK
Rainbow is female  Rainbow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2011, 03:10 AM

Re: Positive vibes for Rocky please

Oh Azz, I am so very sorry to hear about this situation with your Rocky. We hate knowing our pets are unwell in any way. But obviously when it could be something potentially more serious it is frightening.

Equally anxious having to wait for the results!
Try not thinking of all the what if's and maybe's .... easier said than done, but concentrate on now with Rocky, so that you can try and be relatively normal with him. Then deal with later, later!
Keeping things and yourself as normal as possible with Rocky will be a great help.

(What a relief to know that the medication prevented any further fits).

I am sure (and hopeful) that you will share the Vet results with us, as we will be anxious to know how Rocky and yourself are.

With Kindest Regards,
Rainbow x
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2011, 09:30 AM

Hi Azz, thanks for letting us know about Rocky and I`m sure we all wish for the best for him. We had our scare a couple of years ago with Zack, who had a tumour removed from under his tongue, which thankfully turned out to be benign, so we know what you must be feeling right now.
Try to remain positive for him and try to keep your pecker up. We are are all thinking of him and wishing him the best.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2011, 10:59 AM

Hello Azz,
I am sorry to hear about Rocky's problems. The good news is that your vet has said the tumour is not on his spleen and I would think that he did his best to remove it when he did the investigative surgery. Sometimes these things are very slow growing and it may not be as bad as you think. If it proves cancerous, then maybe they can shrink down it if you vet does not feel he can do further surgery.
Its not long to wait until next week and then, hopefully, you will know what the best treatment for Rocky will be.
One thing I would say is that if it were me I would make sure my vet knows that I would be expecting him to give me a full and frank prognosis for Rocky. I would want to have the whole picture from him. Sometimes vets are not sure whether their clients want to know everything, but for me it would be the only way I could do what was best for Rocky.
I do hope that the results will be favourable and there will be positive steps you can take for Rocky and his future health.
mrmojorisin
Tangy Town, UK
mrmojorisin is male  mrmojorisin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2011, 11:41 AM

Rocky's cute. Cuddle him a lot and he'll be ok!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Anyone else been through similar? Know what our options might be? I can't help by feel sad
Azz, first we are all sending positive vibes for poor Rocky, such a lovely looking dog IMO.

You ask about similar, well when we had our Lab (This is many years ago) she was bitten by a snake, and a year latter a huge lump developed where she was bitten on her side and almost exactly where Rocky had his biopsy.

The vet removed it but it came back within six months so the vet arranged for it to be 'zapped' with one of those radiation machines they have in hospitals. (We actually had it done at a famous hospital in Cambridge, had to take her in the back door 'tho)

She was sedated and we watched (behind the screen) as she went into the machine and the technician switched on the radiation beam.

Well, that fixed the problem for another ten years.

So you might want to ask the vet if that is worth thinking about. I think you'll need to have Rocky insured 'tho 'cos I don't imagine that sort of treatment is cheap.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Hello Azz,
I am sorry to hear about Rocky's problems. The good news is that your vet has said the tumour is not on his spleen and I would think that he did his best to remove it when he did the investigative surgery. Sometimes these things are very slow growing and it may not be as bad as you think. If it proves cancerous, then maybe they can shrink down it if you vet does not feel he can do further surgery.
Its not long to wait until next week and then, hopefully, you will know what the best treatment for Rocky will be.
One thing I would say is that if it were me I would make sure my vet knows that I would be expecting him to give me a full and frank prognosis for Rocky. I would want to have the whole picture from him. Sometimes vets are not sure whether their clients want to know everything, but for me it would be the only way I could do what was best for Rocky.
I do hope that the results will be favourable and there will be positive steps you can take for Rocky and his future health.
A great post from Aerolor, I like to have all the details given to me straight then you know what you are working with.
It can also help to write down any questions you may wish to ask the vet and to take them with you, it can be difficult to remember things when you are stressed.

Big hugs for you both Azz , Rocky is such a sweetheart and I know just what he means to you.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2011, 02:17 PM

Big hugs to Rocky from me too Azz, poor fella. It is good that it is not on his spleen and that his epilepsy is stabilised, no seizures for five years is fantastic. Two big pluses in Rocky's favour! Research all you can so you're well versed when you meet his vet next week. My Murphy was epileptic and had tumours on his spleen so I know exactly what you're thinking. Prayers for you both that this can be sorted and you have good news next week. xx
ClaireMarie
Ontario, Canada
ClaireMarie is female  ClaireMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2011, 02:46 PM

Such a handsome fellow Rocky is (even with the lovely collar, he carries if well). Hope you get back good news and his healing continues steady. {{hugs}} and a patt Rocky (sneak in a kiss too).
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

29-01-2011, 03:06 PM

Oh Azz , so sorry about Rocky , you must be worried sick

Fingers crossed for good news hun x x x x x x

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top