Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 03:02 PM

Re: Wow, we made the final

Hi

I was in hospital last night, in Coronary Care Unit.

I am not into football, others are.

We got a flat screen put up so we could watch it.

Very nice of the nurses, but one man got so anxious during the penalty he needed treatment.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 03:07 PM

Sorry to read you're back in hospital Swimmy. Hope all goes as well as can be hoped for.

We watched the last 6 mins of extra time having caught the goals by good luck (flicking from something else we were watching at the time). What a bloody waste of time that was. It was sooooooooo boooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrringly obvious England was playing the clock down.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2021, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Sorry to read you're back in hospital Swimmy. Hope all goes as well as can be hoped for.

We watched the last 6 mins of extra time having caught the goals by good luck (flicking from something else we were watching at the time). What a bloody waste of time that was. It was sooooooooo boooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrringly obvious England was playing the clock down.
You obviously missed the other 114 minutes Percy, that was pretty exciting.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 03:09 PM

Can't lose now, the Ted Arrows are flying over, before the game!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
You obviously missed the other 114 minutes Percy, that was pretty exciting.
Was it THAT obvious? Yes, we deliberately missed the previous 114mins Longdogs. We were watching something far more interesting to us.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2021, 11:20 PM

Sadly the dream is over but at least you can bathe in the glory of Ash Barty's win at Wimbledon. It is nearly as long since we have won a women's title with Evonne Goolagong Cawley.

There is always next year.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 05:46 PM

Having watched the game, (and the Europa Cup Games last month) I can't help wondering why they settle the equal scores situation by having Penalty Kicks.

It was clear that the players who were unfortunate enough to miss, or had their shots saved, were devastated.

It may stay with them for life!

It seems to me that the Penalties system puts an unfair personal burden on the few who are chosen to take them, and the Goalkeepers who have to take the wrap for all of them.

Surely that's unbalanced.

Football is reasonably sporting, but having to settle with Penalties seems very unsporting!

Surely there's a better way?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 05:59 PM

I can't agree with you on this one, Ted, sorry. A few minutes of anxiousness for the money they get? Good exchange rate there I think. Can't have it that easy. I'm sorry they lost, but it was an exciting game and they can focus on the world cup now, eh?
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Having watched the game, (and the Europa Cup Games last month) I can't help wondering why they settle the equal scores situation by having Penalty Kicks.

It was clear that the players who were unfortunate enough to miss, or had their shots saved, were devastated.

It seems to me that the Penalties system puts an unfair personal burden on the few who are chosen to take them, and the Goalkeepers who have to take the wrap for all of them.

Football is reasonably sporting, but having to settle with Penalties seems very unsporting!

They did experiment with the golden goal at one tournament but this is really unfair, in extra time, the team that scores is the winner, but the opposing team has no chance to answer, it was also proposed that , a player from each team was taken off after so many minutes ( I assume there’d be a minimum) but the game would go on forever, no, this is the fairest way cruel that it is , I can’t see any other way they can do it…
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2021, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->

I think penalties are the best way to decide. These are all highly paid professionals. What I thought was a mistake was to throw two penalty takers on in the last minute of extra time. They had hardly touched the ball before they were expected to step up to take a penalty. They both missed if I recall correctly.
I remember when some European Cup games were decided on the toss of a coin. Now that is unfair.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top