Join for free
Page 10 of 10 « First < 8 9 10
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 07:54 PM

Re: Katie Hopkins Told to Bugger Off

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Consultancy? Why should there be? In any case most folk would probably (foolishly and selfishly) be opposed to the essential ecological measures being introduced. As for "Whataboutery" - that is a shameful excuse to do nothing. Sorry lady, you and your fellow travelers are "out of time".

E- scooters ARE pollution free though producing the electricity to charge them just as all electric generation is a different matter though zero polluting generation sources are increasing week by week.

It's a changing world. Accept the changes --- or get out of the way.
That's rubbish, the problem with this is that this policy is a complete shambles and that's because there has been no consultation.

E scooters are on trial in several parts of the UK but the vast majority of users are doing so illegally as only specified areas/rented scooters are legal.

They should all carry a reg plate as should cycles. You've totally ignored that point and also the fact that they are super dangerous to those using them and pedestrians.

Perhaps you think we should go back to horse and cart? We have however many tonne lorries carrying our supplies and post and you are worried about car users who may well be using electric vehicles (and will have to soon). There's just no logic in the points you make. You have ignored totally the massive fire in Siberia.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
That's rubbish, the problem with this is that this policy is a complete shambles and that's because there has been no consultation.

E scooters are on trial in several parts of the UK but the vast majority of users are doing so illegally as only specified areas/rented scooters are legal.

They should all carry a reg plate as should cycles. You've totally ignored that point and also the fact that they are super dangerous to those using them and pedestrians.

Perhaps you think we should go back to horse and cart? We have however many tonne lorries carrying our supplies and post and you are worried about car users who may well be using electric vehicles (and will have to soon). There's just no logic in the points you make. You have ignored totally the massive fire in Siberia.
Why should there be consultation? Most people would say no but that must not be allowed. Environmental protection and clear up is simply too essential.

As for natural produced pollution that we can not (yet) address --- that just increases the need to address what we can address just as everyone must do what they can even if some other countries are dragging their feet.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 08:54 PM

A wildfire in Siberia the size of Belgium is not "natural pollution". Why should we not have consultation? I thought you were pro democracy or is that just cherry picked democracy?

What about illegal usage (most) and licensing?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 09:21 PM

A wildfire in Siberia the size of Belgium is not "natural pollution". Why should we not have consultation? I thought you were pro democracy or is that just cherry picked democracy?

What about illegal usage (most) and licensing?
I'm very much pro democracy but there has to be limits and when the future of mankind is involved, and in this case it really IS that serious, then democracy MUST be replaced by international diktat.

As for the wildfires in Eastern Siberia, actually it IS natural pollution. No doubt started by lightning just as most similar American and Canadian things obviously it was not as a direct result of some immediate act by mankind though anthropogenic climate change no doubt is increasing the frequency and intensity of such awful things happening.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

25-07-2021, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
I'm very much pro democracy but there has to be limits and when the future of mankind is involved, and in this case it really IS that serious, then democracy MUST be replaced by international diktat.

As for the wildfires in Eastern Siberia, actually it IS natural pollution. No doubt started by lightning just as most similar American and Canadian things obviously it was not as a direct result of some immediate act by mankind though anthropogenic climate change no doubt is increasing the frequency and intensity of such awful things happening.
Doesn't this all conflict with your belief in self interest?

As for siberia, nobody knows and it's all a theory. But whether it's man made or "natural" what we are doing are token gestures when something like that happens.

We are wasting our time because the UK is not the main source of pollution. Although we do have high demand for finished goods.

As mentioned we should definitely change our relationship with packaging. We are building more instead of less though. E scooters? what difference do these make? People who would have walked are now charging these things. You don't launch such change without consultation unless you have no brain cells engaged.

But I did think you once said you have a gas guzzler yourself? Which was some sort of self indulgent thing.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 09:37 PM

For God's sake, Todger, just go and put out that fire in Siberia and let's have an end to this bickering.

The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

25-07-2021, 10:00 PM

Doesn't this all conflict with your belief in self interest?

As for siberia, nobody knows and it's all a theory. But whether it's man made or "natural" what we are doing are token gestures when something like that happens.

We are wasting our time because the UK is not the main source of pollution. Although we do have high demand for finished goods.

As mentioned we should definitely change our relationship with packaging. We are building more instead of less though. E scooters? what difference do these make? People who would have walked are now charging these things. You don't launch such change without consultation unless you have no brain cells engaged.

But I did think you once said you have a gas guzzler yourself? Which was some sort of self indulgent thing.
Self interest? Not in the least. It's very much in my interest and the interests of my family that pollution is reduced. Even out here in the depths of Constable Country we've seen the effects of pollution and it's getting worse.

Man made / influenced climate change? Like so many things that are put down as being theory even on the Ballance of probability it's an explanation/theory that is exceedingly well founded, much much more so than any other.

Token gesture? No such thing. EVERY reduction by EVERYONE makes a difference.

Not a major source of pollution? Whataboutery is no excuse for doing nothing.

High demand for finished goods? That demand is unsustainable. Recent legislation concerning mission life and repairability is a move down that road.

E-scooters? Increased use of them for short journeys rather than car or taxi will reduce pollution on the basis of kW/hr as well as removing a source of pollution from an already polluted environment.

Consultation? Too dangerous and would introduce delay.

My own car - we have two. My wife now has a hybrid Volvo XC something and yes, I have a bit of a beast that actually gives a better mpg than a Ford Anglia 1200! Costs a bleedin' fortune to service but hey! You can't have everything!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

25-07-2021, 10:05 PM

Whatever else you say, having a gas guzzler yourself makes you a hypocrite.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

26-07-2021, 10:53 AM

Whatever else you say, having a gas guzzler yourself makes you a hypocrite.
Was a Ford Anglia 105E 1200 a gas guzzler? Anyway you and I will never agree on this, and come to think about it on just about anything.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2021, 07:05 PM

She’s incredibly confident though, I give that to her, I watched a little of her on big brother once.

Extremely knowledgeable, well educated I guess.

She’s the type that could make me feel “ thick”.

Page 10 of 10 « First < 8 9 10

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top