Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 07:35 AM

Re: How Do You Like Your Sandwiches Cut? Square Or Triangle?

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That's my point it is a snack not a meal to me as I said I don't like sandwiches with many fillings.

BTW the thing you illustrated is not a sandwich but a roll, a sandwiches uses two slices of bread from a loaf, that thing is uses a roll or indeed a small loaf - altogether a different thing. I have been to Subway!

You wouldn't describe a hamburger as a sandwich would you?

Yes, indeed. A hamburger IS a sandwich. In fact, any filling, between two or more pieces of bread, including a roll is a sandwich. Moreover, we , in the U.S. , have something called an "open face" sandwich. That is served thus. one or two slices of bread, placed on a large plate. Then meat, often Beef in gravy or turkey with gravy is placed on top of the bread. Often served with fries or mashed potatoes and a veggie.

Precision, my friend is critical in speech/writing. Below is a photo of rolls.. They are NOT sandwiches... yet. But could easily become sandwiches. Also, photo of a deep fried shrimp "Po Boy" SANDWICH.
If you came into my restaurant and asked for a roll, I'd serve you one of the first photo.
PS: Subway is a sandwich shop.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	bread-rolls-photo1-l.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	16415   Click image for larger version

Name:	5ae8595f32cbdce056e7da341882d860.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	16416  
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That's my point it is a snack not a meal to me as I said I don't like sandwiches with many fillings.

BTW the thing you illustrated is not a sandwich but a roll, a sandwiches uses two slices of bread from a loaf, that thing is uses a roll or indeed a small loaf - altogether a different thing. I have been to Subway!

You wouldn't describe a hamburger as a sandwich would you?
I'm with you here Bruce. In the UK a sandwich is two slices of bread with a filling between. But the idea of baps or any other soft rolls being used for sandwiches is creeping in - probably from the US, but it is also a term used for filled rolls in France and other European countries (they steal our word and then bastardise it!). We ordered sandwiches recently from a cafe at a lovely local beauty spot, and were served two huge soft baps. Nothing in the menu description to suggest this, which I thought odd.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 08:44 AM

And this is a Tram Sandwich.

Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
And this is a Tram Sandwich.

Oh good grief!!! I wouldn't have wanted to be in that car, and trying to get out
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
[/B]

Yes, indeed. A hamburger IS a sandwich. In fact, any filling, between two or more pieces of bread, including a roll is a sandwich. Moreover, we , in the U.S. , have something called an "open face" sandwich. That is served thus. one or two slices of bread, placed on a large plate. Then meat, often Beef in gravy or turkey with gravy is placed on top of the bread. Often served with fries or mashed potatoes and a veggie.

Precision, my friend is critical in speech/writing. Below is a photo of rolls.. They are NOT sandwiches... yet. But could easily become sandwiches. Also, photo of a deep fried shrimp "Po Boy" SANDWICH.
If you came into my restaurant and asked for a roll, I'd serve you one of the first photo.
PS: Subway is a sandwich shop.
That's your opinion and it is wrong
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
I'm with you here Bruce. In the UK a sandwich is two slices of bread with a filling between. But the idea of baps or any other soft rolls being used for sandwiches is creeping in - probably from the US, but it is also a term used for filled rolls in France and other European countries (they steal our word and then bastardise it!). We ordered sandwiches recently from a cafe at a lovely local beauty spot, and were served two huge soft baps. Nothing in the menu description to suggest this, which I thought odd.

Please read the entire recipe to see what it says about baps and sandwiches.https://www.seriouseats.com/traditio...sh-baps-recipe
Bathsheba
Devon, UK

27-07-2021, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
[/B]

Please read the entire recipe to see what it says about baps and sandwiches.https://www.seriouseats.com/traditio...sh-baps-recipe
Yes I read it. All of it. It's an American site. In the UK we don't call a filled bap a sandwich. We call it a filled bap
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
Yes I read it. All of it. It's an American site. In the UK we don't call a filled bap a sandwich. We call it a filled bap
What about barms and batches .....
Bathsheba
Devon, UK

27-07-2021, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
What about barms and batches .....
Haha, yes there are so many varieties of rolls. And if they're split, buttered and filled with your favourite filling, they're all filled rolls, not sandwiches

The sandwich is named after John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, an eighteenth-century English aristocrat. It is said that he ordered his valet to bring him meat tucked between two pieces of bread.

In the UK and Australia, the term sandwich is more narrowly defined than in the US: it refers usually to an item which uses sliced bread from a loaf. An item with similar fillings, but using an entire bread roll cut horizontally in half, is generally referred to as a roll

(Wikipedia)
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 03:57 PM

My lot, as younguns..Bread buttered them jammed up..coated in batter and fried..was all the rage for a while....yuk.

We have most days a french baguette..we ring the changes with wholemeal of ses am...(sesame)...
half each, sliced lengths ways..some times i will cut the ends off, if they are the strange pointed loafs...

that's better

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top