Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 10:11 PM

Re: How many 'smart' devices in your home?

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
On the back of another thread about the vulnerability of society as some big organisations fell victim to hacking, this news item may be of interest to some of you who have multiple 'smart' devices in their homes.
What do you mean by smart devices ?
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Things that know what you want them to do, without you having to tell them.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 10:23 PM

Devices found in the home including items such as smart TVs, printers, wireless security cameras, and wifi kettles. The link below gives more details of what these can be:

https://www.techopedia.com/definitio...3/smart-device

This link gives a more detailed and technical explanation:

https://towardsdatascience.com/what-...s-52da69f6f91b
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 10:24 PM

The only devices we have here that connect to the internet are our laptops. IF anything should be renewed and we are advised it is 'smart' then it will stay disconnected from the internet while it is in our possession, or to put it another way, it will not be connected by us in the first place.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 10:31 PM

On the back of another thread about the vulnerability of society as some big organisations fell victim to hacking, this news item may be of interest to some of you who have multiple 'smart' devices in their homes.

I guess the way to be as safe as is possible from hackers these days, is to ensure that user names and passwords are strong enough to defeat attempts at hacking:

https://news.sky.com/story/homes-fil...-week-12346825

Do you follow advice on security of 'smart' devices or do you not see the need to,
so seldom change passwords?
How many 'smart' items in my home? One - me!
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
The only devices we have here that connect to the internet are our laptops. IF anything should be renewed and we are advised it is 'smart' then it will stay disconnected from the internet while it is in our possession, or to put it another way, it will not be connected by us in the first place.
The problem with doing that, as I see it, is you would have items that cannot be used as most are connected by wifi and without that nothing would work. Your mobile phone, for instance, could well be connected via wifi. I know mine is when in my home as I cannot receive 4G indoors so it automatically connects via the wifi facility on my broadband.

The CCTV I have is I know connected via the internet, pictures from all cameras can then be displayed on my laptop or mobile phone as both are linked to the internet.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 10:33 PM

Devices found in the home including items such as smart TVs, printers, wireless security cameras, and wifi kettles. The link below gives more details of what these can be:

https://www.techopedia.com/definitio...3/smart-device
Thank you sir! I was trying to make sure about the clarity of this.

"Smart devices are interactive electronic gadgets that understand simple commands sent by users and help in daily activities. Some of the most commonly used smart devices are smartphones, tablets, phablets, smartwatches, smart glasses and other personal electronics. While many smart devices are small, portable personal electronics, they are in fact defined by their ability to connect to a network to share and interact remotely. Many TV sets and refrigerators are also therefore considered smart devices."

I think it is still not absolute clear and that there is still some ambiguity.
Baz46

03-07-2021, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
How many 'smart' items in my home? One - me!
Another one, so that's now five of you!

See posts #2, 3, 6 & 7.
Baz46

03-07-2021, 10:43 PM

Thank you sir! I was trying to make sure about the clarity of this.

"Smart devices are interactive electronic gadgets that understand simple commands sent by users and help in daily activities. Some of the most commonly used smart devices are smartphones, tablets, phablets, smartwatches, smart glasses and other personal electronics. While many smart devices are small, portable personal electronics, they are in fact defined by their ability to connect to a network to share and interact remotely. Many TV sets and refrigerators are also therefore considered smart devices."

I think it is still not absolute clear and that there is still some ambiguity.
The second link in post #13 explains more fully, if that's of any help to you. Apologies for adding this after posting originally, I did so as it's far more explanatory than the original link.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The only smart device in our house is me Baz....
Does this laptop class as being smart though?
Same here.

My son did give me a Google Mini for Christmas but it has remained unplugged since the day i was given it. I have turned so many of my Google account features Off that it was near useless anyway except for telling me the time and I have wristwatch for that.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top