Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 08:25 AM

They are taking over, even traditional whisky!

An entire whisky distillery is being shipped out from Scotland to China on Friday.

"More than 35 tonnes of equipment, including stills, flooring, control valves and pipework, is leaving Buckie in Moray for the port of Tianjin.

Valentine International chairman and managing director David Valentine said the project was the brainchild of Mengtai chairman Ao Fengting, who planned to create a "globally award-winning whisky"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...iness-57825081

Yet another product labelled with "Made in China" on it! Where is all this going to end I wonder?

I cannot comment on the product as I am teetotal but are there any comments from
OFF whisky drinkers on this, particularly our Scottish members?
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 08:30 AM

Re: They are taking over, even traditional whisky!

Whisky? Scotch whisky? Being made in China? What in the world is going on with that flipping country, talk about on a mission for world domination. It is really very frightening how they're tightening their grip on everything.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 08:31 AM

Wow!!....very competitive aren’t they Baz, I’m sure they will succeed, most of the Chinese are extremely clever people.

It will be interesting to see if they do come up with the best whisky.

Never touched the stuff personally.
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
Whisky? Scotch whisky? Being made in China? What in the world is going on with that flipping country, talk about on a mission for world domination. It is really very frightening how they're tightening their grip on everything.
Not too sure about it being called Scotch whisky, although it does make me wonder? Here we cannot call food products by their traditional name unless it is actually produced in that area. Take champagne for instance, that can only have that brand name if it's produced in the Champagne area of France. Pork pies for instance, Melton Mowbray pies possibly come under the same regulations.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 08:42 AM

Won't this require a pipeline for the famous Scottish rain water?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Won't this require a pipeline for the famous Scottish rain water?
Nobody's having out rainwater. What is made in Scotland, stays in Scotland.
Baz46

16-07-2021, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Wow!!....very competitive aren’t they Baz, I’m sure they will succeed, most of the Chinese are extremely clever people.

It will be interesting to see if they do come up with the best whisky.

Never touched the stuff personally.
Time will tell I guess, I always understood it was the water in Scotland that helped with the individuality of the whisky, maybe that's going to be exported too?

I used to drink whisky many years' ago, probably about 55 years, before I became teetotal.
I had a very good Scottish friend, I recall the various malt whiskies he had were very nice!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 08:47 AM

Not a fan of whisky, can't stand it...but this news doesn't surprise me.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
If China's buying of the distillery is a bad thing, shouldn't some of the blame go to whoever sold it to them?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 09:02 AM

That so totally and completely sucks. I cant stand scotch myself. No matter how good its supposed to be. I only like Bourbon. If Jack daniels moves to China ill give up drinking. But scotch lovers will be spewing no doubt.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top