Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2016, 08:22 PM

Savings

Any suggestions for a good savings account ? I dont have much savings , just kept it with easy access for emergency
usually pet fees etc ], now Im informed the interest rate has gone down a lot , so I want to find somewhere else
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2016, 09:31 PM

Re: Savings

Originally Posted by deylon ->
Any suggestions for a good savings account ? I dont have much savings , just kept it with easy access for emergency
usually pet fees etc ], now Im informed the interest rate has gone down a lot , so I want to find somewhere else

Try bunging some dosh in Premium Bonds
Do it for a few months and see how it goes. You might be lucky and get a decent return
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2016, 10:53 PM

Some current accounts pay decent interest on a small amount of savings. I don't have such an account but understand Lloyds offers a good interest rate plus free travel insurance etc.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2016, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
Some current accounts pay decent interest on a small amount of savings. I don't have such an account but understand Lloyds offers a good interest rate plus free travel insurance etc.
The Santander current account offered 3% interest but has just reduced that almost zilch !
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2016, 08:42 AM

As well as two savings accounts with the bank and Post Office, I put my savings in premium bonds to the full amount. I have also given my three daughters the full amount of money one can have in premium bonds to keep for me, which is kind of them. Naturally I let them keep any prize money which comes up most months. It is a nuisance the banks have reduced the amount you can keep in saving safely to only £75,000!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2016, 09:10 AM

Hahaha
What a load of tosh.
Where's Malcolm when you need him?
MALCOOOOOOLM.

Right, onto the op.

No bank account offers decent interest rates any more.
So I'd throw it into Premium bonds, for sure.

If you require instant access to funds I'm afraid you have very little choice.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2016, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->

No bank account offers decent interest rates any more..
That's very true.

I have heard that internet accounts pay better interest but I haven't go one myself.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2016, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
That's very true.

I have heard that internet accounts pay better interest but I haven't go one myself.
What is one to do with all one's money.
One will struggle to yield a miserly £3000 per £1m saved.
That's only £9000 per annum return that one gets.
It's just not cricket.

dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2016, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
The Santander current account offered 3% interest but has just reduced that almost zilch !
Not zilch Rachel old girl, down to 1.5% which is still the best deal around. Still it has lost me £600 per year starting the end of this month so I ain't happy. Then rubbish Lloyds and Tesco bank and the others are down to 0.01% , so forget the trip to Paris
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2016, 10:20 AM

My premium bonds come up most months, even though the amount isn't large, £150 is the most I have had in one go, still it is a lot better than the interest on my savings accounts and the ISA.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top