Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2016, 10:42 AM

I hope David Cameron and his Cronies are watching

I sincerely hope that David Cameron and every one of his cronies looking forward to wearing their ermine in the House of Lords,have been watching as our finest athletes, riders, swimmers, divers, sailors, hockey players, boxers and every other event where they have been proudly representing Great Britain, have stood proudly on that podium as a gold, silver or bronze medal has been placed over their heads, the look on their faces at their great achievement.

Also to all those athletes representing Team GB who put their heart and soul into the event that they have no doubt been training for years, months, weeks, days and hours, only to be pipped at the post on the day, even though they gave their all, well done, you are still our heroes. you were excellent enough to be chosen to take part representing your country. that is a real honour in itself.

I don't know about you but to me these are the true heroes of Great Britain. Each and everyone of them are true representatives of what courage, fortitude, and sacrifice is all about. If Gongs are going to be handed out by the dozens, these are the people who deserve them, not the hangers on who get to wear the ermine simply by being able to afford to buy it in the form of cronyism.

Well done Team GB. You may not be thought worthy enough of a heroes parade in the streets of our capital because the Mayor of London seems to be obviously more worried about the cost rather than what it means to the athletes who gave their all and to the people of Great Britain who are so proud of you and with our number of medals, can smugly give two fingers to all those countries who thought this country was finished. our athletes have shown you we are not!

Good on Theresa May too for breaking her holiday in Switzerland to ensure there will indeed be a Parade awaiting our heroes and it will be held as it should be, in the centre of this Country, Manchester.
Tight Arses running London don't deserve to be the holders of a heroes parade when as usual, money comes before pride and obviously rules the roost.

So it will be a fitting return for our modern day heroes !!
Well done one and all. If it was down to the people, each and every one of you would be receiving another gong.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2016, 11:33 AM

Re: I hope David Cameron and his Cronies are watching

A lot of the winners come from the North, so it makes sense to have the parade in Manchester.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2016, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
A lot of the winners come from the North, so it makes sense to have the parade in Manchester.
It certainly does.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2016, 11:55 AM

These are paid professionals doing what they are paid for and having a whale of a time to boot, they have nothing to do with "heroism" and you do real heroes, who really risk their all for the country, a huge injustice by classing them as such.
PhilipM
Wales, UK
PhilipM is male  PhilipM has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2016, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
These are paid professionals doing what they are paid for and having a whale of a time to boot, they have nothing to do with "heroism" and you do real heroes, who really risk their all for the country, a huge injustice by classing them as such.
I quite agree Barry! I confess I was no good at sport in school.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2016, 03:41 PM

I don't mind where the parade happens just so long as it happens. Just wait and see how many people turn out to line the streets on the day. That will be a good indication of how we feel about our sporting heroes.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2016, 05:06 PM

All paid by the Lottery.

But not to sneer well done to all the winners and losers.

PS I don't play the lottery so no interest.
PhilipM
Wales, UK
PhilipM is male  PhilipM has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2016, 09:08 PM

Professional sport as far as I'm concerned is just a branch of the entertainments industry!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2016, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by PhilipM ->
I quite agree Barry! I confess I was no good at sport in school.
Me neither .. I fell over the hurdles, ended up with a flattened sandy rump in the long jump sand pit and broke the bar on the high jump. But .. at hockey I had a lethal left hook with the stick.

Well done to anyone who has the stamina and talent and is good enough to represent their country.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

20-08-2016, 10:30 PM

with respect Barry, you are so wrong....
Contrary to your assumption that I don't appreciate the bravery enacted by every single soldier, sailor and airman who fought on our behalf from WW1 and every conflict since. Of course their heroism is top of the list. They always will be.
Don't forget all those who were not in uniform either, they too were heroes.

There are different types of heroes. these sportsmen and women are heroes in their own right, whether you believe that by giving them the name is an injustice to the heroes above is solely your opinion. It doesn't mean you are right. I, along with millions of others will always regard military personnel present and past as heroes, but a hero is also someone who gives their all for their country. It doesn't mean they have to pick up a gun to do so. By putting their heart and soul into winning for their country will always make them heroes in my eyes.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top