Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 08:00 PM

Re: How to introduce my grand daughters to my new 1 year old dog

Lindylou said "We carried out two actions with great success. My husband (as perceived head of the pack), told the dog to sit in his basket. Then my young son had to drag the dog out of the basket and sit in it himself.......all under the watchful eye of the head of the pack."

I personally think it inadvisable to do this Lindylou. A dog's basket is it's own personal space and it should be a safe place of retreat where it is confident it can go to and not be disturbed.

Just to add regarding feeding - children should not disturb a dog when it is eating or sleeping. It's OK for a child to put the food bowl down for a calm dog, but then the dog should be left in peace to eat. Giving treats may be a bit different as long as the child has been shown how to do it and the dog is gentle and knows how to accept a treat.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Just to add regarding feeding - children should not disturb a dog when it is eating or sleeping. It's OK for a child to put the food bowl down for a calm dog, but then the dog should be left in peace to eat. Giving treats may be a bit different as long as the child has been shown how to do it and the dog is gentle and knows how to accept a treat.
Yes, some dogs can be irritable if their feeding is interrupted. Some are not. Not all have the same attitude.
Nature or nurture?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 08:31 PM

If you have a puppy it’s best while it is small to a custom it to having it’s food taken away from it ( give it back immediately ) to teach it that it doesn’t need to protect its food .
Also stroke it ( puppies don’t care ) and it will learn that you dont want it’s food

Do not allow food protectiveness ( this is easy to do with a small puppy)

Almost impossible with a grown dog who protects his food .
Dogs that do this are a danger to a child or unwary visitor who may wander too close to its feed bowl inadvertently.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Almost impossible with a grown dog who protects his food .
Dogs that do this are a danger to a child or unwary visitor who may wander too close to its feed bowl inadvertently.
Ours has no problem with that. As I said, not all dogs are the same.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 08:52 PM

My border collie is the same Besoker .
You can sit in his feed bowl and he doesn’t care .
His temperament is amazing
But some dogs are extremely protective of food .
I was myself once attacked by a friends german shepherd in her back garden .
The dog attacked me with no provocation .
( they had a small child too )
A neighbour who saw this explained that she had seen the dog bury a bone by the path that morning and I had inadvertently walked near it .
I was unhurt as had on a thick coat .
However the same dog later attacked two young boys ( outside of it garden ) and was euthanised .
Food protectiveness IMO is not something that can be safely allowed in a house pet .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Lindylou said "We carried out two actions with great success. My husband (as perceived head of the pack), told the dog to sit in his basket. Then my young son had to drag the dog out of the basket and sit in it himself.......all under the watchful eye of the head of the pack."

I personally think it inadvisable to do this Lindylou. A dog's basket is it's own personal space and it should be a safe place of retreat where it is confident it can go to and not be disturbed.

Couldn't agree more, Aerolor.
I wouldn't like it if someone dragged me out of my bed just to sit in my place, then climbed out again and let me go back!

And I certainly wouldn't encourage a small child to grab a dog's colour and drag it out of bed either!
I certainly wouldn't be happy if a child did that to any of my dogs!

What is the point of that for heaven's sake?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

29-09-2019, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
My border collie is the same Besoker .
You can sit in his feed bowl and he doesn’t care .
His temperament is amazing
But some dogs are extremely protective of food
I have seen that behaviour.
Max has the same temperament as yours. He looks out for the grand girls and his new friend, Ozzie.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Dogs are pack animals.
I believe that is so - but am not a dog owner.

You eat first, then feed the kids .
Rubbish! In my house people eat together as a family.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Dominique ->
Hi,
My 2 grand daughters (4 and 1 year old) are coming to visit for 8 days. We got a dog 3 months ago and she is 1 year old. She is a Sproodle and very lively. I am a little bit concerned about how she will react to 2 young children in her territory and what the the best introduce them to each other is? Out in the park first or at home? Any comments and help from previous experience would be welcome!
Thank you,
Dominique

I would supervise at all times..a slow introduction,if your sproodle is lively..be careful it doesn't knock them over or nip with excitement...

Good luck!.

PS.not al dogs are the same...a bit like people,some are nice,some are nasty.temperament and history comes to mind...my jack Russell stayed with a dog minder for a week.....she told me he was wonderful with her grandchildren...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 09:46 AM

If you have a dog gate or child gate can work too, and a room you can put the dog on separate to the children I think I'd use that so they can see each other and gradually let them get used to each other before allowing them to be all over each other.

Or what we usually do is meet outside have the children sitting with the parents and you have the dog on the lead. See how gradually getting closer feels and often the child (obviously not the one year old) will approach the dog if you make the dog sit let the child stroke it...

Any sign it's not going well don't force it to continue if the dog is unhappy or the children just pop the dog in another room when they visit. Much safer for all concerned.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top