Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2015, 01:24 PM

White Goods.

There have been a few items recently about fires starting regarding white goods. They don't seem to make them as efficient as they used to - advice would be not to leave washing machine or dryer on overnight or dishwashers ......
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2015, 01:34 PM

Re: White Goods.

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
There have been a few items recently about fires starting regarding white goods. They don't seem to make them as efficient as they used to - advice would be not to leave washing machine or dryer on overnight or dishwashers ......
One of the big problems with white goods is buyers failing to register with the manufactures when they purchase them.

Registering enables the manufactures to get in contact if there is a product recall or modification required .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2015, 03:10 PM

I think biggest problem is being able to unplug them when not in use, how many of us have plugs behind them so we can't access them. Certain I used turn our washing machine off when not in use years ago but modern kitchens you need to drag the machine out to do it.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2015, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
One of the big problems with white goods is buyers failing to register with the manufactures when they purchase them.

Registering enables the manufactures to get in contact if there is a product recall or modification required .
That's very true Meg - as long as the fire hasn't happened first ..................
Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I think biggest problem is being able to unplug them when not in use, how many of us have plugs behind them so we can't access them. Certain I used turn our washing machine off when not in use years ago but modern kitchens you need to drag the machine out to do it.
True again .............
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2015, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I think that the truth of the matter is that many White Goods are now made in places where the wages are a pittance and those working there are literally worked to death.

That alone does not instil any pride in what you do or how you do it but their conditions must impinge on both their state of mind and their well-being.

Secondly, many manufacturers now often have the same basic chassis and buy the cheapest possible components to save even more money to increase their profits to astronomical heights.

Reducing costs in producing consumer goods of all kinds have resulted in far higher profits than ever before yet the lot of the average worker has not improved one iota.

I remember when I was in IT I found out a major component of all the PCs made by a certain well-known company could be made with a far longer life than we were experiencing for the sake of one or two components known to be more durable.

Those components would have added a few pence to the cost price but no, they used alternatives that "blew" very quickly so a whole new unit had to be purchased.

That actually cost under £1 to make and ship each unit to European warehouses - but it cost us £48 to buy.

It is greed that's fuelling all this as usual and they are putting our lives at risk too but nobody cares because these are big, powerful companies and, as we have all seen, business controls politicians, not us. stevmk2
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2015, 07:11 PM

Well, if you should unplug appliances when not in use, why do they make them with timers??

If every household has say 6 appliances and If they are as problematic as suggested, then over the years statistically most of us should have had a fire. I haven't and I don't know anyone who has.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2015, 07:19 PM

Well my MILs house burned to the ground due to a tumble drier fire (tumble fresh sheets apparently very inflammable) so I can name at least one I knew well, then the flats we currently live in were rebuilt in 1988 after a fire destroyed 20 flats due to a washing machine fault.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

15-06-2015, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Well, if you should unplug appliances when not in use, why do they make them with timers??

If every household has say 6 appliances and If they are as problematic as suggested, then over the years statistically most of us should have had a fire. I haven't and I don't know anyone who has.
Well GW - a repair man told me they are made with plastic components now so not up to the standard of years back
Also 'Watchdog' have featured fires from appliances .....
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2015, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I think biggest problem is being able to unplug them when not in use, how many of us have plugs behind them so we can't access them. . . . you need to drag the machine out to do it.
Aren't you supposed to have a bank of switches in your kitchen which control those sockets? You should definitely have a wall switch for your oven for example but typically you would also have a matrix panel of about 6 switches with switches for:

Water Heater
Washing Machine
Dishwasher
Fridge
Freezer

and so on.

My house is at least 16 years old and had this as standard.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

17-06-2015, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Aren't you supposed to have a bank of switches in your kitchen which control those sockets? You should definitely have a wall switch for your oven for example but typically you would also have a matrix panel of about 6 switches with switches for:

Water Heater
Washing Machine
Dishwasher
Fridge
Freezer

and so on.

My house is at least 16 years old and had this as standard.
My flat was built 1989 and doesn't so it may be a newer idea. If we want to access the washing machine plug we have to pull the machine out and get under the worktop to reach it, something neither of us can do alone I take advantage when either of the boys are home to shift it so I can clean under it but generally it is stuck in place.

Just had a new electric cooker fitted and they ignored the socket next to the space and fitted a new one behind it so I guess standard for your house is not standard for all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top