Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 11:49 AM

Apple Quicktime problem.

I cant view youtube videos on here, (Plugin reqd). I used to be able to see them.

I have downloaded Apple Quicktime updates, and on trying to install them i keep getting the following message.

The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation.

Any ideas as i believe this is the cause of not being able to view the vids, i can see them on youtube itself.

regards in advance Nom.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 12:47 PM

Re: Apple Quicktime problem.

Nom what kind of PC and Browser are you using ...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 01:07 PM

In 'System Preferences' go to ‘Security&Privacy’ and see ‘General’ where it says allow downloads from ‘Anywhere’ click on that. Apple will only allow you to download their stuff if that is not clicked, I’m no expert but this might just be the problem, Quicktime is their player but I have VLC player installer which will play almost any type of video. Give it a try and download another player, there are some great ones out there for free, VLC is excellent for your music too.
Forgot to add.
They will put up a warning telling you it is unadvisable Nom, but that’s just a case of “Well they would say that wouldn’t they” I have it on all the computers in this house and never had any problems.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
In 'System Preferences' go to ‘Security&Privacy’ and see ‘General’ where it says allow downloads from ‘Anywhere’ click on that. Apple will only allow you to download their stuff if that is not clicked, I’m no expert but this might just be the problem, Quicktime is their player but I have VLC player installer which will play almost any type of video. Give it a try and download another player, there are some great ones out there for free, VLC is excellent for your music too.
Forgot to add.
They will put up a warning telling you it is unadvisable Nom, but that’s just a case of “Well they would say that wouldn’t they” I have it on all the computers in this house and never had any problems.
Thanks Jem I wasn't sure if Nom was talking about an iphone or something I don't know anything about them...
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 01:52 PM

Its my laptop with Firefox, i can download Quicktime, and when i go to unpack and install it at the end of the install i get the message in my OP.

So dont know who or why the Administrator prevents it, but i believe its the source of the problem.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Forgot to add.
I use a Mac and have just checked my settings as shown by Jem above and mine are checked as follows:

Allow apps downloaded from:

Mac App Store and identified developers.

Not sure if this has anything to do with viewing videos but I have no trouble viewing them.

Hope you get it sorted Nom.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2015, 03:04 PM

The system administrator is you (or whoever has the admin account on your Mac).

Are you downloading updates via the system update or directly from a website? Ideally you want to do it via your Macs update system (otherwise you'll have to activate installs as per Jem and Mags' posts).
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

13-07-2015, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
The system administrator is you (or whoever has the admin account on your Mac).

Are you downloading updates via the system update or directly from a website? Ideally you want to do it via your Macs update system (otherwise you'll have to activate installs as per Jem and Mags' posts).
Hi Azz not a Mac, im downloading from the Quicktime site, how do i log on as Administrator ?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 02:25 PM

Ah right. I'm not sure why you need quicktime then tbh, as youtube videos usually play using Flash.

Logging in with an administrator is usually logging in with the main account on your computer.

Who manufactures your PC? It might be worth posting on their forums or getting in touch with their support to see if they have a better idea.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2015, 09:19 PM

It's nothing to do with Apple Quicktime. The videos use Flash player. However, the latest version of Firefox now blocks Flash presentations (videos included) by default. This is because Flash is considered too much of a security risk. Flash always has had plenty of security updates as vulnerabilities have been found. It looks like Mozilla have decided not to support it by default any more for this reason.

If using Firefox, you should see this (below) when you click on a video in the forum. Then you should be able to allow Flash plugin to be used and the video shown. If you are not seeing this, I wouldn't know why.

YouTube videos when viewed on the YouTube site use HTML5 and not Flash Player to show the the videos. HTML5 is a function of the site and browser and so doesn't need a plugin. This is why you can see the videos OK on YouTube.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top