Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2015, 02:11 PM

Does anyone have V.......

Does anyone else have a Virginmedia mail account ??

The reason I am asking is the log in has changed as of today, for me anyway !!!!

I type in email address
Type in password

and as of today a box to tick saying "I am not a robot"
When you tick the box some pictures appear and you have to tick each picture that IE which of the pictures are showing Pasta or similar.

Its doing my head in !!!!!! why ? it just slows things up Grrrr
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2015, 03:01 PM

Re: Does anyone have V.......

Yes I have it for broadband/phone/TV but I never use the e mail address,just check every now and then on My DD...tried it just now and can't get in..it says They're updating and to try again later...Mine is an old Blueyonder add' from years ago,so will have to see what's what later...let Us know how You get on Marj.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2015, 03:02 PM

I will, thank you May.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2015, 03:18 PM

Hello,
Your email service is about to get a mini-makeover. This email will tell you what’s happening, how it affects you and what to do next.
You might not know, but we worked hand-in-hand with Google to provide your email service. But now, they can no longer help us do this. So we’ve created our own. We’re looking forward to bringing you an even better service, jam-packed with more innovations over time.
What’s happening
Over the next three months, we’ll move from our old Google-based service to an all-new, and improved Virgin Media email service.
But don’t worry, all your old emails and contacts will be transferred over, safe and sound. Your email address and password will stay exactly the same too.
In fact, if you use our Webmail service, the main thing that’ll change is how the email service looks. Instead of the familiar Google layout, you’ll see our simple new Virgin Media email layout.
Sending, receiving and managing your emails on the new system will be a doddle. But it’s a good idea to get up to speed on all the changes and see how the new service looks by visiting virginmedia.com/emailswitch.
What to do next
We’ll be making the switch automatically over a 3 month period, so stand by to see your new look email service soon.
In the meantime, here’s what to do next:

- Check you’ve got the most up to date version of your browser (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Safari etc), to access our new Webmail service hiccup-free.
- Unfortunately Google Talk won’t be available on the new email service - if you love keeping in touch this way, it’s easy to set up a new Google account and register for the Google Hangouts chat service.
- If you had filters or rules set up to help you manage your email, you’ll need to set these up again on the new service after the move.
- If you access any other mailboxes through your Virgin Media Mail, using services like Mail Fetcher or POP aggregation, you’ll need to set this up again after the move too.

All set? You’ll have the new email service at your fingertips soon.
And remember, just visit virginmedia.com/emailswitch to make sure you’re all set for the big day.
Happy emailing,

The Virgin Media team

help My Virgin

Finally got in and this is the message which was sent last week.
Marj
England

17-07-2015, 06:27 PM

May, thank you very much for taking time out to help.
I have read it all and will read it all again lol
Just to make sure it all goes in.

Its all very informative, I really don't like having to do this "Quiz" to get my emails.

Thanks again.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2015, 07:06 AM

Thanks for that information May. I haven't received notification of the change so wasn't aware of it.

On reading this thread, I signed into my e-mail addresses and found it necessary to go through the 'I am not a robot' procedure for each one. A nuisance but it looks like this is deemed a good additional security measure by VM to safeguard our email accounts.

I most often access Virgin Media's e-mail service via Windows 8.1's own IMAP e-mail application and haven't noticed any difference when accessing e-mails this way.

If the new way of logging into e-mail account(s) using a browser is found too annoying, a way around the difficulty might be to access them using an e-mail program installed on the computer.

--------------------------------

Edit: Having accessed my account via webmail, I got this message in my e-mail program. Yet another new security measure by the look of it. No bad thing:

Your Google Account (e-mail address) was just used to sign in from Firefox on Windows.

(My name)
(e-mail address)
Windows
Saturday, 18 July 2015 06:20 (British Summer Time)
Warrington, UK*
Firefox

Don't recognise this activity?
Review your recently used devices now.

Why are we sending this? We take security very seriously and we want to keep you in the loop on important actions in your account.
We were unable to determine whether you have used this browser or device with your account before. This can happen when you sign in for the first time on a new computer, phone or browser, when you use your browser’s incognito or private browsing mode or clear your cookies or when somebody else is accessing your account.

Best,
The Google Accounts team
Marj
England

21-07-2015, 08:13 AM

Logged into Virginmedia.com email this morning and the annoying

'I am not a robot' was gone, long may it continue !
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2015, 07:59 AM

With e-mail accounts being under attack, I can understand VM's motives for wanting to provide customers with additional layer of login security. A strong password is probably going to be good enough but some people don't have very good ones. If those VM customers got hacked, I suppose it could always be blamed on the individual. However, I expect a finger would also be pointed at VM for not providing sufficient security.

I'm not sure if I'd have got used to using the captcha if always accessing e-mails via webmail (using an installed program as mentioned). Whether or not I would, it looks like a lot of people didn't like it and told Virgin Media so. VM removed the additional account security measure as a result and say that some other measures have been put in place instead.

A long thread here. Information about the removal on page 23 of the thread. It looks like some objected to the type of pictures used as much as anything.
Marj
England

22-07-2015, 08:09 AM

Thanks Mart for the info much appreciated.

You mentioned about strong passwords, well I can blame VM for this because mine is strong if you can go by what they say when you do a new password, but VM would not accept all my password and for VM alone I had to shorten it, and I was not happy but that's what happened.

Now off to read "Lond Thread" thanks.
Old Supporter
Bedfordshire UK
Old Supporter is male  Old Supporter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2015, 08:28 AM

Hi Marj,
There were many people complaining about the "I am not a robot", onVM's Forum site, that yesterday morning they issued a statement. They said that they had taken note of all the comments and commplaints, and stopped using it. They have apparently put in place an alternative that works unseen in the background. So everything should now be as you were before.

Arthur

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top