Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2015, 10:59 AM

Re: Virgin Media putting up prices again...

Yes we still pay for the cables and dish and the aerial they removed several years ago - no end to the bills New Vision Homes and the council can conjure up for us to pay here, even pay for a lift service annually and we don't have a lift it is on a building other end of the town
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2015, 12:46 PM

Re the OP, so what else is new with them!Get on my pip a bit.
[Appalled of Tunbridge Wells]
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2015, 01:02 PM

Julie, supposing I take out my Sky card. If I get a message saying no signal, what would I do then, presuming I try with my Sky box?

Thanks.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2015, 01:08 PM

I have Virginmedia cable TV and broadband for the last 4 years, it started out at £33 per month and has gone up every February since and the first year twice once in the Feb then again in April I now pay £46 something a month, my hubby says we should cancel it and just keep broadband, but I would miss too all the catch up programs.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2015, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Julie, supposing I take out my Sky card. If I get a message saying no signal, what would I do then, presuming I try with my Sky box?

Thanks.
Stick your card back in it really is easy as that.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2015, 04:15 PM

I have been reading some comments on a forum (did a Google search) and it was quite interesting. If you want to keep the record facility. sky charge about £10 a month, allegedly, but their website doesn't have this information, only giving a viewing card for one off fee of £25. If you cancel your sub, they disable the record and playback functions.

The other option is to buy a dedicated PVR like Humax for a one off charge, which as posters point out, is 18 months of paying Sky £10 a month, and the box is yours.

I will look at their channels later and see if I could cope with the Freesat ones rather than losing what I have on Sky. If their charges continue to go up, and I've managed to burn all my recordings onto DVD, then I will truly consider jumping ship.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

29-07-2015, 04:55 PM

We decided to buy a box comparing the cost of the box with the cost of a year of Sky and decided it paid us to get one. You have to do the sums yourself of course, and weigh up what you really want or can do without. Record was vital to us as most of what we watch is prerecorded and watched when we are ready to see it also pause is used a lot too, we found the few channels we can't get not worth the fees for them. But others may have other priorities.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2015, 07:06 PM

@Jazzi

Seriously . . . you pay per month for both Virgin Media AND Sky ?? You must be mad !

Each to their own I suppose but it's laughable (imo) how many people these days sign up to contracts for things which all seem to be around the £30 per month mark. Sky, mobile phone contracts, gym memberships etc etc. These are the things imo that enslave people.

I have NEVER had Sky and never will (on the basis that the concept of paying for a service that the provider can change at will is utterly ludicrous). I use Freeview (which is of course free) and I have owned a fantastic Freeview PVR for years. Even when Sky were peddling their first Sky+ boxes with a pathetic 40GB Hard drive in them my Topfield PVR was leaving that tech well behind. Twin tuners, 250GB Hard drive, loads of applications on it, ability to record series etc etc.

To set that up all I needed was a larger aerial bought easily at a local DIY store. Initially just had it up in the loft and worked fine. Later I put it up on the roof. I use a simple signal booster box with it that cost about £15 to get a great signal. Never looked back. Meanwhile Sky continued to sell much lesser and more underpowered Sky+ boxes to the Sheeple. I could record 2 channels and watch a 3rd at the same time years before Sky boxes could. Caveat Emptor !

So, consider getting an ordinary aerial Jazzi which you can put anywhere provided you can point it in the right direction. Then get a cheap Freeview box or PVR and that's £40 per month saved if not more.

I don't have phone contracts (I'm PAYG), no satellite TV and I have no monthly subscriptions to anything (except regular utility bills). Mortgage all paid off and retired from 9-5 work at age 48. I live simply and reasonably frugally. I realised my conditioned wants and desires were the source of my enslavement into a life time of work and toil. I put my silly wants and desires to the side and instead treasure that which is far more valuable, my freedom, the ability to wake up each morning and think right, what shall I do today ?

I sit in coffee shops watching the rest of the world hustle and bustle by, with their Smart phones, headphones plugged into their iTune fed MP3 players, branded clothing, fake tans etc etc, all blissfully aware that the iron chain and balls dragging at their ankles were put there and are kept there by no-one but themselves !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

29-07-2015, 08:33 PM

I think Jazzi is in a situation like us and won't be allowed her own aerial, it's great if you can have your own dish or aerial but some of us can't.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

29-07-2015, 09:19 PM

Exactly Julie. My flat is part of a block owned and managed by a housing association with strict rules on satellite dishes. I'm connected to the communal one. The other blocks have their own dishes, but they don't have a communal.

I have both Sky and Virgin because I simply love my telly! Without Sky I wouldn't currently be enjoying the 'award winning' Swedish drama Jordscott every week! My tv goes on first thing in the morning and is my only source of enjoyment.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top