Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2015, 01:14 PM

Anyone know how

I pay for Norton and normally its very good but I have something that wont go away even though 99% Norton says its blocked it.

Its a website and it says "OfferbyContext" tried to search for it but cant find it .

I'm not technical so be kind to me, appreciate any help/advice.

Thanks in anticipation.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2015, 01:39 PM

Re: Anyone know how

Marj - we have Norton and they are very good, if they say they have blocked it they have
I too searched for it - nothing
What do you mean it keeps coming up ?
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2015, 02:47 PM

Do you mean you have a pop up that keeps coming on?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2015, 02:56 PM

Norton isn't as good as you think it is I'm afraid. But then there is no anti-virus package that can protect you from everything, so you have to use a combination of products that work well together.

OffersByContext is Adware/malware so not a virus as such.

To remove it you will need to download and install the defacto/industry accepted benchmark product called Malwarebytes. You can download it free if you just want to do a one-off manual scan to detect and remove malware on your PC. If you want it constantly running and detecting malware as it arrives then you have to pay for the package same as any other PC protection program.

It is very easy to download and run malwarebytes and you'll probably be amazed at how much malware is on your PC. A warning though. Before running it you need to adjust its settings. It detects what it calls "Potentially Unwanted Programs" (PUPS). A lot of the time that is genuine stuff you may have deliberately downloaded to your PC or which came installed with it. What you don't want is the Malware scanner to detect it and remove it, which is what it will do by default. So in the settings you simply tell it to "Not Clean" or "Not remove" PUPS (can't remember the exact wording).

If in doubt get your best friendly PC geek to do it for you.

Good luck
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2015, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Marj - we have Norton and they are very good, if they say they have blocked it they have
I too searched for it - nothing
What do you mean it keeps coming up ?

Hi Patsy. it just came up while trying to log in here, I copied and pasted the heading to show you.

Thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT | Powered by OfferByContext

As Realist just mentioned its not a virus but annoying, it takes over the whole page, Norton blocks each time the ad comes up except for the one that's advertising for Microsoft !!!!
Marj
England

04-08-2015, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
Do you mean you have a pop up that keeps coming on?
Yes Jimmy, example I go to log in Over 50's and then the page is taken over, not always but if the laptop has been shut down and I boot up again it does it, then I can do what I want and until another reboot I am ok so to speak.

Thanks.
Marj
England

04-08-2015, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Norton isn't as good as you think it is I'm afraid. But then there is no anti-virus package that can protect you from everything, so you have to use a combination of products that work well together.

OffersByContext is Adware/malware so not a virus as such.

To remove it you will need to download and install the defacto/industry accepted benchmark product called Malwarebytes. You can download it free if you just want to do a one-off manual scan to detect and remove malware on your PC. If you want it constantly running and detecting malware as it arrives then you have to pay for the package same as any other PC protection program.

It is very easy to download and run malwarebytes and you'll probably be amazed at how much malware is on your PC. A warning though. Before running it you need to adjust its settings. It detects what it calls "Potentially Unwanted Programs" (PUPS). A lot of the time that is genuine stuff you may have deliberately downloaded to your PC or which came installed with it. What you don't want is the Malware scanner to detect it and remove it, which is what it will do by default. So in the settings you simply tell it to "Not Clean" or "Not remove" PUPS (can't remember the exact wording).

If in doubt get your best friendly PC geek to do it for you.

Good luck
Norton has whats termed as Norton Power eraser would that work in a similar way to malware bytes.

Thanks.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2015, 07:51 PM

Have pm'd you on this Marj - hope it works
Marj
England

04-08-2015, 07:56 PM

Thank you Patsy, giving it a whirl now
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2015, 08:24 PM

Did it appear after you had downloaded something?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top