Join for free
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 11:39 AM

Emails

I have received two emails recently both sent with my email addy to my email addy.......how's that done? This is what I've copied and pasted, I find them distasteful and upsetting. What can I do?

.................................................. .....................

are you ready to please me? i will make you my s3xslave!
i'm 27/f... come over and taste my juice!
my username is KittyKat26
view my profile here!

Talk Soon!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 11:52 AM

Re: Emails

Can you block emails from your own address? Or mark it as spam?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 12:00 PM

I get those too but they're always to be found in Junk where they belong!
Always trying to persuade me to enlarge my penis, as far as I'm aware I don't have one

Seriously Gabi, you should be able to block this kind of crap by going to your settings and choosing a high level filter.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 12:23 PM

Hi Gabi

Firstly, you should never open an email which you don't recognise. What was the email title/subject out of interest?

The apparent sender of any email can be easily "doctored" by hackers in many cases so that makes life a little difficult.

If you are resolved to take a peek inside an email that seems odd or that you weren't expecting then I really recommend you disable Java Scripting before you take that peek.

Assuming Windows and Internet Explorer being used

In browser select Tools - Internet Options
Select Security Tab
Hit the Custom Level button
Scroll down to the very bottom then back up slightly to find the "Scripting" section
Then where it says "Active Scripting" click the Disable button

Then exit/close your way out.

By disabling scripting you prevent any website from running nasty scripts and tracking programs and other stuff. That also results in some website functions and buttons not working. For example if you use Googlemail you will find that with Scripting disabled you get a more basic view. It's still all usable but functionality is not as Flash Harry as the version with Scripting enabled.

However websites will run like stink with scripting disabled and you won't get annoying adverts and pop ups and you prevent their ability to track your visits and log info about you.

In terms of the emails you've received I would move them into the spam folder so that your email system knows to treat them as spam. Then try creating and sending yourself an email and see if that ends up in your inbox or in spam. If it goes to spam then you'll have to take the offending email back out of the spam box.

In Googlemail you can hit a button to report the emails and they can then take action to prevent them I think.

meanwhile I recommend doing a full anti-virus scan as soon as you can and also a Malware scan using MalwareBytes if you know what that is. Obviously never click on any link in such an email, simply delete, preferably without ever opening it.

I find that a lot of spam emails I can identify just by looking at them in my inbox. Googlemail shows enough of the first line of the email for me to know if it's an advert or spam.

ATB
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 12:23 PM

Can only delete them on my iPad. I can block them on my computer as they will be there too but seeing they are sent with my email address will I be blocking my genuine ones? I need a computer expert who knows how ppl can send emails with your email address to your email address.
Gabi
Lancs,.

19-08-2015, 12:32 PM

Thank you Realist for such good information, where the message ended saying view my profile here it was the (here ) that was the link which I didn't open.....I will go on my computer and do as you say put it in the spam folder then see if the one I send goes there too.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
Thank you Realist for such good information, where the message ended saying view my profile here it was the (here ) that was the link which I didn't open.....I will go on my computer and do as you say put it in the spam folder then see if the one I send goes there too. :-D
Hello Gabi sorry you have lost me are you saying the email had a connection with this site. If so the person to speak to is Admin ...
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 01:59 PM

I think if it were me I would run a full virus check. Also ask your friends if they are receiving the message.
I'm not saying its the same in your case, but when you start receiving emails from your own address it quite often means you have been infected by a Trojan. This uses your address book to spam these messages to and spread itself to your friends computers.
Gabi
Lancs,.

19-08-2015, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
.................................................. .....................

are you ready to please me? i will make you my s3xslave!
i'm 27/f... come over and taste my juice!
my username is KittyKat26
view my profile >>>>here!<<<<<<<

Talk Soon!

Meg I was referring to the above, the email sent had my email address on From and ToThe link was the last word of the line of the message above that I've put in the <<>>
Funny enough it's not in my mail on my computer which I'm using now......love this keyboard it's much quicker than my ipad.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 05:07 PM

If you get e-mails from your own e-mail address you haven't got a virus or malware, it is just spammers spoofing, you can make an e-mail seem to come from anywhere if you know how to.
They do this to stop you blocking them, because you can't block your own e-mail, the best thing to do is just delete them without opening, and never ever click on any links.
I used to get them from "paypal" but they have stopped now.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top