Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2015, 07:49 PM

Re: Quality of food - getting worse?

A lot is sold for you to ripen at home - whatever that means ! but tomatoes? yuk, they have no taste at all and are full of pale orange water, eugh!
A new potato is nothing like I remember them tasting, newly dug is not a new potato!
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2015, 09:02 PM

It seems that the powers that be are tinkering with a lot of our foodstuffs,,I bet you any money you like that weve all eaten some GM crap by now unwittingly...I think if its been tampered with then I want to know about it and want to know exactly from the label whats been done with my food!
Im sure the nutrients are being slowly bled from our food .Nothing unless its organically grown or home grown seems to have any goodness in it anymore
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2015, 09:50 AM

I thought it was just me and that my taste buds had stopped working.
Dont think any of the fruit and veg you buy now a days has any taste.
I do try to buy from farm shops so much nicer.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2015, 10:53 AM

I think the quality of tomatoes sold in supermarkets has improved--from awful to poor.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2015, 11:10 AM

The early picking, transport and rapid ripening results in the inferior, mealy tomatoes that we have in our grocery stores today.
In Spain for example they like to pick them earlier so that they can start another crop to maximise profits and other crops too.

Ethylene is a naturally-occurring ripening gas in many fruits and I understand that some Spanish growers pump this into their poly-tunnels as soon as they can.

With Lettuce, if you add more water and add fertilisers weekly you can force them to grow quicker but the natural flavours are produced by the plant over time so that can be lost.

One they're picked though they obviously cannot take on any water so during transport they can dry out too quickly so really the best thing to do with shop-bought Lettuce is to soak it in water for a couple of hours, allow it to dry in a collander in the 'fridge then use it.

I'm not a great fruit eater so soft fruits are beyond my experience but I've noticed Blackberries along the canal banks and my wife says they are far tastier than the shop ones! stevmk2
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2015, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
The early picking, transport and rapid ripening results in the inferior, mealy tomatoes that we have in our grocery stores today.
In Spain for example they like to pick them earlier so that they can start another crop to maximise profits and other crops too.

Ethylene is a naturally-occurring ripening gas in many fruits and I understand that some Spanish growers pump this into their poly-tunnels as soon as they can.

With Lettuce, if you add more water and add fertilisers weekly you can force them to grow quicker but the natural flavours are produced by the plant over time so that can be lost.

One they're picked though they obviously cannot take on any water so during transport they can dry out too quickly so really the best thing to do with shop-bought Lettuce is to soak it in water for a couple of hours, allow it to dry in a collander in the 'fridge then use it.

I'm not a great fruit eater so soft fruits are beyond my experience but I've noticed Blackberries along the canal banks and my wife says they are far tastier than the shop ones! stevmk2

Ahhh well there you go matey - blackberry pie, stewed blackberries, Blackberry Gin - what could be better??? - and what's more its FREE!!!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2015, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Ive noticed how much of the fruit and veg in supermarkets is just bland tasting and awful...I do try to buy from a small greengrocers in town which sell a wide variety of stuff...eggs I buy fresh from my neighbour free range laid the same day.
I used to enjoy the taste of tomatoes too but never buy these from the supermarket now theyre just dead tasting of nothing.
My home grown tomatoes are tasting delicious! And I'm not really a fan of them.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2015, 07:07 PM

The one thing I do miss about having to downsize is space to grow tomatoes-Eva Purple Ball,Black from Tula,Brandywine to name just 3. I sold so many varieties but if anyone wanted Moneymaker I told them to go to a garden centre
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2015, 04:34 PM

Even if you only have a window box, I would recommend growing some herbs. It's nice to be able to pick them fresh.

I appreciate that not everyone wants a large garden, but I'm disgusted at the pathetic size of gardens given to modern houses. People should be able to grow some veges if they want to. It seems to be the only way to get anything with taste these days.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2015, 04:47 PM

Hi

I live in a rural area, so plenty of seasonal fruit and veg available, mostly from Honesty Boxes at the roadside.

I also grow my own, taste so much better and even with very little space it is amazing how much you can grow.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top