Join for free
Page 1654 of 1676 « First < 654 1154 1554 1604 1644 1652 1653 1654 1655 1656 1664 > Last »
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

07-05-2021, 01:50 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

I've been tryin to get the flock out of me ear for ages!!

ah! just had an epithany moment! - we should work with what we've got cos it's always better than workin alone ?? do I feel a rhyme coming on? it's tryin ; it's tryin - very trying!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2021, 06:47 AM

Know nowt about Farming, but, had a Arable Horribilis once, with Farmer Giles.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2021, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by bret ->
Ah ah - I remember sometime ago watching a british tv series on the re-emergence of local villages shops and in particular the butchers. a segment would be devoted to the butcher and his/her shop. This one I recall in particular farmed their own sheep on their own lands and it was salt marshes - the declared quite honestly that in their opinion it produced the tastiest lamb they had even tasted - God honest truth!!

some farmers out here who have over-fertilized their farms are going back to an ancient form of farming were cows horns are buried in the ground full of ; can't remember now ' but left for a season and the contents dug up and made into a slurry which is sprayed on the land - with remarkable results of recovery!! God's honest truth 2

We have a number of TV channels over here as you do too. One is simple called World Movies - the range is quite formidable - I am watching The Duchess atm - the 18 century aristocract Georginia Duchess of Devonshire and ancestor of Princess Dianna and living extremes of lifestyle - v'good acting and scenery majetic!

There are parts of the UK where ponies run free, and piggies too. The pigs were introduced to eat the plethora of acorns produced each year because acorns are poisonous to horses.
I've never tried the resultant pig meat, but I am told it has a very pleasant and distinctive flavour.

Ground up deaded aminals have been used for fertilizer by here for as long as I can remember. My dad used to use dried blood, bone, and fish fertilizer when I were a lad.

There is a cave system not far from here where thousands upon thousands of animal bones were found. There was some sort of depression in the land above and a hole down to the cave forming a natural funnel. Over thousands of years, possibly during the ice age, hundreds of animals either died and fell in, or fell in and died.
When the bone cave was discovered during the last century, thousands of these bones were taken out and ground up to make fertilizer. The problem was that the bones had been fossilised over the millennia, and no longer contained any nutrients, so the exercise was a complete waste of time, and history.

We have a couple of small power stations by here that run on methane produced from animal manure. It's called Mooclear Power.

We have many TV channels devoted to nothing but films, and my Lovely Cousin and I often settle down to watch a romance or period drama. Some of them involve amateur detectiving so we have great fun trying to predict whodunnit.

Ah yes, there's many a joke made around the different dialects pronuncification of words. What fun!
bret
bret is male 

07-05-2021, 01:10 PM

Well what I do remember about this farmer story is that here is the one farmer with a lovely green growing farm surrounded by dying farms who contd using fertilizers - it was quite dramatic!

anyway back to films - one of my all time favourites is a Japanese in sub-titles called Our Little Sister - a very unassuming title that may turn you away at first glance - no big dramas just real life story about fractured family but then a healing family - set in a seaside town [yes you read that right] walks on the beach etc - anyway here is the bio

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/o...le-sister-2016

it comes of course with my strongest recommendation you will not be disappointed
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2021, 10:15 PM

Don't do Films no more, except to keep the Sarnies fresh.
bret
bret is male 

08-05-2021, 12:19 AM

that's whizze ya come here laddie to live and learn!
bret
bret is male 

08-05-2021, 02:37 AM

just a quick survey from a handful of people - one handle actually! - are you a townie and always will be and why or a bumpkin and always will be and why or as we say these days transitioning [ love using these dirty words!]
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

08-05-2021, 07:35 AM

I am a Bumpkin, who seems to have manifested in an urban environment but semi transitioned.
bret
bret is male 

08-05-2021, 08:25 AM

snap and I'll be spitfired - started of townie then transitioned and came bumpkin then big townie in skyscraperville here and there and then back to the bush. But I am sure there must be those who always stay a urbanite and those who stay a semi-nomad heh?

lot of descriptors there to mess around with percentage wise that is?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

08-05-2021, 08:33 AM

I was Bumpkinised before the manifest was written, how can that be?

Page 1654 of 1676 « First < 654 1154 1554 1604 1644 1652 1653 1654 1655 1656 1664 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top