Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 05:15 PM

Question about lack of PPE, i am missing something here.

Again today in the news there are press reports of NHS staff again complaining about the lack of PPE.

Now I was under the impression proper PPE is to used where there are instances of transmittable infections and viruses. Now this is where I think I am missing something with all these NHS hospitals complaining they lack PPE. Due to convid-19, all these hospitals complaining about the lack of PPE, are they suggesting that every hospital employee is to be issued with PPE or only for the real purpose of what PPE is intended for? because if that is the case then there has never been and never will be enough PPE for ALL NHS employee's because the manufacturers of PPE do not have the capability of producing millions upon millions of PPE to give to every health employee in the world to protect them from convid-19.

Therefore, am i missing something here in that every-time we see health employee's complain there is a lack of PPE, are they are only referring to isolation wards where PPE is mandatory? or do you think they mean everyone should have PPE? which if it is the latter then I feel the criticism against the government is unjust because there was never ever going to be enough PPE to give to every health employee.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 06:12 PM

Re: Question about lack of PPE, i am missing something here.

I agree the criticism regarding the supply of PPE is grossly unfair, as is the insinuation that the government isn't pulling out virtually every stop to supply more. The demand for this equipment must have increased a thousand fold since the epidemic began, and demand on a global, not just a national scale. Having said that, the moaners who are, in my opinion, just trying to score political points on this, could have done much better but they fail to say how, unless they could just magic some up out of fresh air that is....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I agree the criticism regarding the supply of PPE is grossly unfair, as is the insinuation that the government isn't pulling out virtually every stop to supply more. The demand for this equipment must have increased a thousand fold since the epidemic began, and demand on a global, not just a national scale. Having said that, the moaners who are, in my opinion, just trying to score political points on this, could have done much better but they fail to say how, unless they could just magic some up out of fresh air that is....
Hi

I have to disagree, it is a scandal.

Other Countries have done much better.

We were slow off the mark.

I do not wish to make any political points on this, I cannot imagine Labour would have been any better.

We cannot entirely blame our politicians solely for this, the NHS Senior Management have been very slow off the mark in obtaining supplies.

They have shown no flexibility or urgency, sticking to preferred contractors and time consuming purchasing rules.

They are not on the frontline and are in no danger themselves.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 06:49 PM

What is PPE and who should wear it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52254745

Anyone who comes into close contact with patients who may or do have coronavirus should wear some form of protection. That includes staff working in care homes, prisons and other community settings as well as in GP surgeries or hospitals.

The type of PPE required depends on the level of risk.

Guidelines recommend that anyone working within 2m (6ft) of a confirmed or suspected Covid-19 patient should wear an apron, gloves, a surgical mask and eye protection.

Clinicians carrying out tasks that could generate airborne droplets of saliva loaded with the virus should use an even higher standard of protection, including disposable gowns, filtering respirators and face-shielding visors.

For example, that would include intensive care doctors getting a patient ready to go on a ventilator to support their breathing.

What about ambulance staff and pharmacists?
The ambulance driver does not need to wear any PPE, but the rest of the crew should wear the appropriate amount depending on the likely level of exposure and risk they face.

Pharmacy staff who cannot keep 2m away from possible patients should wear a surgical mask.

There are around 1.58 million NHS staff across the UK in hospitals and the community. All of them will require varying amounts of PPE depending on the type of work they are doing.

Some bits of kit can only be used once per patient, while others can be used for whole sessions, such as during a ward round visit to many patients.

Gowns, aprons, gloves and surgical masks should be disposed of after a single use or session.

All PPE worn during the highest risk situations - where there will be lots of splatter from infectious droplets - should be single use.

Goggles or face shields can be reused if they are decontaminated, however.

It is easy to see how a member of staff would need to use lots of PPE when following the guidelines.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 06:50 PM

Other countries.... You mean like Babcias sewing surgical masks in their homes in Poland?

https://www.thefirstnews.com/article...ng-masks-11382
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 06:51 PM

How much kit has the government sent out?

The government says it has provided more than 761 million pieces of PPE across the UK, which includes:
  1. Deliveries to hospitals, hospices, care homes, home care providers, GPs, pharmacists and dentists
  2. 158 million masks (surgical masks and more highly protective FFP3 masks, but it is unclear how many of each type)
  3. 135 million aprons
  4. one million gowns
  5. 360 million pairs of gloves

The 761 million figure also includes body bags, pulse oximeters, swabs, clinical waste containers, cleaning equipment and detergent to NHS Trusts.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 06:51 PM

One of my friends is making NHS PPE visors in his home using a 3D printer. There's a big effort going on nationwide here. Don't knock it.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 06:54 PM

With all the negative press the government are getting about PPE I am certain they will be doing their best to get that equipment in. Like Barry said this is not just a national demand for PPE it's worldwide and they can't keep up with the demand. They aren't magicians. If only. All in all I've just said what Barry said, perhaps I should have just said 'thumbs up Barry'
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

13-04-2020, 06:57 PM

They have had the army in distributing it. The bottlenecks must be local. The army have been fabulous.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

13-04-2020, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I agree the criticism regarding the supply of PPE is grossly unfair, as is the insinuation that the government isn't pulling out virtually every stop to supply more. The demand for this equipment must have increased a thousand fold since the epidemic began, and demand on a global, not just a national scale.
Your very own words back at you:

You know that for a fact do you, or is it just your personal conjecture perhaps?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top