Join for free
Page 11 of 18 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2012, 06:13 PM

Re: Statins

Well, I saw the doc today and discussed statins. I suggested that she might prescribe one (there are a number) that didn't react with grapefruit or (I think also) Seville Oranges. She said she didn't know about them and I sounded as if I knew more than her! She's nice but I wish the two older doctors (now retired) were still there. When they didn't know, they looked it up.

As for asking questions on a forum, well all I can say is that doctor's don't always tell you the whole story so you have to get answers from people who have used the various medicines...

I also discovered by accident that one class of Beta Blockers can cause vivid, strange dreams.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2012, 07:59 PM

I have had several statins Simvastatin, Pravastatin, Rosuvastatin, Atorvastatin. The only one i can remember mentioning anything about avoiding Grapefruit was simvastin ...but i would still check with your doc or even check on line...they all do say avoid excessive alcohol intake but what is excessive ??
ps the reason i have had so many is the side effects I got from them ..simvastin was the worst it appears that some people just cant tolerate them ...
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2012, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by ukmartian ->
I have had several statins Simvastatin, Pravastatin, Rosuvastatin, Atorvastatin. The only one i can remember mentioning anything about avoiding Grapefruit was simvastin ...but i would still check with your doc or even check on line...they all do say avoid excessive alcohol intake but what is excessive ??
ps the reason i have had so many is the side effects I got from them ..simvastin was the worst it appears that some people just cant tolerate them ...
Yes Steve matey, I can relate to that too - they caused severe muscle cramps in my legs. Doctor swopped my to Atorvastatin (Lipitor) 10Mg and I've been fine with that and can still have alcohol (in moderation).
Dorcas
UK
Dorcas is female  Dorcas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2012, 08:23 AM

My husband's cholesterol reading was 6.8 and was advised to go on these Statins, he did for 3 weeks and complained of aching in his arms and legs all day long. He came off them and went on a diet then had it checked again, he is now down to 4.2 and says he will never go on them again.
By the way he lost a stone and a half
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2012, 10:12 AM

My doctor said a diet is not a factor as i eat very little diary products and watch my fat intake ...he said it was to do with the liver as it produces the 'bad' cholesterol. Up until 2 month ago i was on a drug called enzetamide (ezetrol) which works different to statins. i had NO NOTICEABLE side effects..however it was more expensive than statins so he put me back on the cheaper statins As I couldn't even do up my own shoe laces and my 80 year old father was more active than me .......obviously money takes precedence over my health and comfort . I have now thrown away the statins Its now 3 weeks ago and only just now getting to feel better ....
Dorcas
UK
Dorcas is female  Dorcas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2012, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by ukmartian ->
My doctor said a diet is not a factor as i eat very little diary products and watch my fat intake ...he said it was to do with the liver as it produces the 'bad' cholesterol. Up until 2 month ago i was on a drug called enzetamide (ezetrol) which works different to statins. i had NO NOTICEABLE side effects..however it was more expensive than statins so he put me back on the cheaper statins As I couldn't even do up my own shoe laces and my 80 year old father was more active than me .......obviously money takes precedence over my health and comfort . I have now thrown away the statins Its now 3 weeks ago and only just now getting to feel better ....
I understand what your saying and if that's what your Doctor said fine, but my husbands Doctor was very pleased that his diet had worked and brought down his cholesterol from 6.8 to 4.2 as I mentioned in my earlier post, and told him to keep up the good work.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2012, 07:51 PM

I was on Simvastatin once, but gave up taking it, I could hardly walk, after about 50 yards My thigh muscles were aching badly.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2012, 09:19 PM

My husband found he had raised cholesterol levels and the doctor wanted to put him on Statins. He asked if he could wait 6 months and try to reduce his cholesterol by diet and exercise. It worked for him and he never did go onto the Statins. I was borderline and I said I would prefer to and see in what it was like in another year. At the next check up I had gone down a bit and the Doctor said no need to go onto Statins. I think Statins are now becoming prescribed less and I think it is worth a try at doing it yourself. It can work for some people and the less medication needed the better IMO.
poppy
lincolnshire
poppy is female  poppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2012, 05:15 PM

hi if i were you i would lower your cholestrol by diet dont get on the satins . i have heard a lot of people say they have a lot of side effects .
shep
New Member!
boston uk
shep is male 

09-10-2012, 06:30 PM

I've been on statins for years and had no side effects at all

Page 11 of 18 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top