Join for free
Page 4 of 16 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 09:53 PM

Re: Leavers and Remainers, A Call For Unity?

What part of article 50 being enacted didn't the remainers understand ? it's all rules and laws from that point on. No point moaning and saying the referendum wasn't lawful. It was taken seriously enough to make article 50 happen.

I know that's not being conciliatory but unless remainers accept we are leaving one way or another it's going to carry on in this madness for ever.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 10:13 PM

No, the Referendum was not legally binding, but we were certainly all led to believe and told quite firmly that the result would be carried out -

"I am absolutely clear that a referendum is a referendum; it's a once in a lifetime opportunity and the result determines the outcome.
You can't have neverendums, you have referendums"
David Cameron 17 May 2016

"The government will implement what you decide."
Government EU Referendum Leaflet 2016

"if we vote out that's it. It is irreversible"
David Cameron 21 May 2016

"I will forgive no-one who does not respect the sovereign voice of the British people once it has spoken, whether it is a majority of 1% or 20%.
When the British people have spoken you do what they command.
Either you believe in democracy or you don't"
Paddy Ashdown 23 June 2016

Of course that was when the Establishment expected that the result would be to Remain; and explains why Cameron didn't make the Referendum legally binding, as he was so certain that the result would be Remain
When they didn't get the result they wanted instead of honouring the result of the Referendum they tried everything they could think of to reverse or subvert a majority, democratic decision - and still are

You are no doubt correct in your assertions, just as I am that any kind of trust or respect by the electorate in the Government or our MPs has sunk without trace
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 10:21 PM

Well,

I don't know about anyone else on here, but personally (with the exception of AnnieS, whom I respect) I have no desire to foster any goodwill with remainers on the forum such as itsme etc. I'm sick to death of their condescending petulance.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 10:31 PM

All one can do is to ask people to look at all the evidence and available options at the time, coupled with how this relates to their original reasons to vote the way they did, take on board one's own views of how well "behaved" politicians here and abroad have been, and make a conscientious choice.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 10:36 PM

I think that if there were to be a second referendum, the Remainers might be shocked to the core by an even larger Leave vote.
The Remain side, which by and large controls much of the mainstream media has created such a toxic atmosphere that many Leavers daren't even admit to having voted Leave. A former colleague of mine who works in a local authority Education Department was telling me that, although she knows that many of her workmates voted Leave, not one dare say so at work in the face of the blanket condemnation of Leavers as right wing, racist, little-Englander thickos. As she has said, it just makes her and her Leaver colleagues even more determined to vote Leave next time!
I wonder, in the event of a second referendum and a second Leave victory, would the Remainers then campaign for a third referendum.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I wonder, in the event of a second referendum and a second Leave victory, would the Remainers then campaign for a third referendum.
I doubt it. Even Blair stated that if the vote was once again to leave, then it would be a done and dusted unequivocal situation and pretty much mark the end of all this wrangling.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
No, the Referendum was not legally binding, but we were certainly all led to believe and told quite firmly that the result would be carried out -

"I am absolutely clear that a referendum is a referendum; it's a once in a lifetime opportunity and the result determines the outcome.
You can't have neverendums, you have referendums"
David Cameron 17 May 2016
However the remoaners might argue the toss, the majority of voters demanded that we leave the EU.

Since when has a democracy accepted that the minority should call the shots?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Well,

I don't know about anyone else on here, but personally (with the exception of AnnieS, whom I respect) I have no desire to foster any goodwill with remainers on the forum such as itsme etc. I'm sick to death of their condescending petulance.
Itsme? Who's Itsme?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-01-2019, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I think that if there were to be a second referendum, the Remainers might be shocked to the core by an even larger Leave vote.
The Remain side, which by and large controls much of the mainstream media has created such a toxic atmosphere that many Leavers daren't even admit to having voted Leave. A former colleague of mine who works in a local authority Education Department was telling me that, although she knows that many of her workmates voted Leave, not one dare say so at work in the face of the blanket condemnation of Leavers as right wing, racist, little-Englander thickos. As she has said, it just makes her and her Leaver colleagues even more determined to vote Leave next time!
Very good point. Hence the value of secret voting.

Traditionally lefty organisations, as above, tend to shout the loudest in the hope that they can make it sound as if they are in the majority.

I stand strong in the belief that leavers will not be swayed by this attempt at brainwashing and will still support the leave vote.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 10:54 PM

Ironic really that Westminster gave us the vote and now today the 630 members decide they know best and they alone can decide our fate ... and then after either stopping brexit altogether as seems likely or going into some kind of Norway deal ( even worse than being the Eu member we are/were) they will then at some point with a straight face having gone against all their manifesto promises ask for YOUR support in the next election as if nothing has happened!!!
So straight away 52% of the population either won’t vote or will vote tactically to screw their local mp .... the whole thing is simply betrayal no matter however you dress it up

Page 4 of 16 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top