Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 11:20 PM

Re: Honda plant closure

Cars are like ladies, and the latest offerings are sterile, and you have to work to hard for a performance, at our age, no one wants to Rev to the limit.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 11:20 PM

All those servicing costs.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 12:54 AM

I love Honda Cars
I had a red Hatch Back Civic which i reluctanly sold after 11years of service and no faults.
My presnt Car is a Honda Jazz 10 years old which i am passing on to my daughter
Both cars were always parked outside and never rusted.

More than 3500 08 people and many thousands of others will lose their jobs when Hnda shuts up shop in 2022 after 30 years of maunfcturing in Swindon.
If sales were down why did they not reduce the price of the Cars?

There is still time for the Goverment and Swindon Council to use their inititive and find other manufacturing Companies to come to Swindon.

The Factorys could accomadate many other trades World wide or even British Companies giving incentives like Rent free and Council Tax free for one year at least.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 07:22 AM

Hi

Car manufacturing will continue, new engines, hybrids etc.

This affects all manufacturers, not just Honda.

Car manufacturing is multi national, they will take a view on where it is best for them to produce these new models.

Business needs to plan for years ahead, the one thing they do not like is uncertainty

They have no responsibility to the UK whatsoever.

Even if May's transition period goes ahead, it is not a Trade Deal, it just gives us until the end of next year to negotiate one.

Business will not wait that long, they need to make investment decisions now.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 07:27 AM

The eu trade deal with japan means no import tariffs hence Japanese companies have no reason today to have plants for anything on mainland Europe
Chris Parsons
New Member!
Wiltshire
Chris Parsons is male 

19-02-2019, 10:22 AM

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ales-of-honda/ - honda sales YoY so not sure why you say the design desicions were bad.

Maybe it wasn't Brexit but the Diesel. Probably the no tariff EU-Japan deal coupled with the fact that 90% of Swindon production is exported to EU had nothing to do with it.

Really, I am sorry for the people about to lose their job. Seems like most manufacturers are reducing capacity over the summer shutting for a while or they are downright closing the production lines. Interesting to see what will happen to Swindon housing market. On one hand market is bad but then the speed railway is underway. This would be a good opportunity for the rich to buyout the house market and profit in 5 years.

Which UK manufacturer exactly we expect to pick the slack, the other manufacturer in Swindon is - BMW/Mini which is German. The rest are all foreign owned as well.
Chris Parsons
New Member!
Wiltshire
Chris Parsons is male 

19-02-2019, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
But the people were warm and not freezing ... and so we evolved to cleaner and better however the cost of power was transferred from house to power station to gas supplier or whatever over time but to suddenly ban the car just like that and to expect everyone to say oh okay , il go and buy a brand new electric car and throw an extension lead out my 24th story window and never drive more than 50 miles from home ever again ... simply Lunacy and when the history books are wrote in 20 years time they will say the old big companies like Mercedes and ford , bmw and landrover were killed not by themselves but by the EU
Audi e-tron - 200 miles
Mercedes EQC - 200 miles
Mini Electric - 150 miles
BMW i3 - 150 miles
Nisan Leaf - 200 miles
Porsche Taycan - 200-300 miles
Kia Niro EV - 186 miles
Volvo XC40 Electric - 200 miles
Tesla model S at 85 mph - 150-220 miles // at 75 mph - 180-259 miles

I understand you like to doom and gloom the topic but please at least put some level of truth to the numbers you throw out there. Under calling it on average 3 times is a bit too much am I right?
Nobody is forcing you to swap yet. Ofc if you go for 4 liter diesel probably the tax will be high but 4 liters diesel is already pretty expensive anyway so consider it tax for the rich. Road tax for 2-2.5l Diesel is no more than £120 pounds per year hardly forcing you to swap to an electric car.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Great chance for a British manufacturer to take over all of it and produce a car that is all british built. Bring back the Morris Minor

And the Hillman Hunter
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

19-02-2019, 12:08 PM

Honda "The Power Of Dreams".

Swindon "The Stuff Of Nightmares"
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Parsons ->
Audi e-tron - 200 miles
Mercedes EQC - 200 miles
Mini Electric - 150 miles
BMW i3 - 150 miles
Nisan Leaf - 200 miles
Porsche Taycan - 200-300 miles
Kia Niro EV - 186 miles
Volvo XC40 Electric - 200 miles
Tesla model S at 85 mph - 150-220 miles // at 75 mph - 180-259 miles

I understand you like to doom and gloom the topic but please at least put some level of truth to the numbers you throw out there. Under calling it on average 3 times is a bit too much am I right?
Nobody is forcing you to swap yet. Ofc if you go for 4 liter diesel probably the tax will be high but 4 liters diesel is already pretty expensive anyway so consider it tax for the rich. Road tax for 2-2.5l Diesel is no more than £120 pounds per year hardly forcing you to swap to an electric car.
All rather nice cars and presuming everyone will no longer buy a £500 banger to get to work but invest in a new Tesla or Porsche ? Doubt it ...
so those unable to go electric will I imagine face huge day costs to bring their cars into city or town centres ???
And as for milesages quoted and indeed fast charging times when you look into it they are ideal performance figures but throw a passenger or 3 , luggage , caravan etc ... hills , cold weather and the range plummets ..
fast charging at 50 amps my only be 30 minutes but elsewhere you are looking at hours so whilst I’m all for electric motoring I’m saying in the real world we aren’t ready for it ..
As go Honda or indeed ANY CAR MAKER as I said earlier they like certainty and it takes about 10 years to make that new model you see in the showrooms ... electric cars are evolving at such a pace to build a production line today for electric cars would be akin to designing and building a tiger moth only next year to find the jumbo jet is available and the next day Concorde and car manufacturers simply can’t work like that as who would invest ???
The motor industry very much likes to be in control but today finds governments policy ( a badly thought out one ) is leading the way .
At first when announced it actually banned hybrids but I expect a U turn on that , I imagine the future will actually become hydrogen cell but that needs costing ( but will win eventually ) but the madness we see today is costing the car industry TODAY before they even reach tomorrow because people stopped buying diesels and they amount to most Audi bmw Mercedes jaguar landrover sales ... the big money cars whilst shopping trolleys such as Renault Clio , Hyundai i10 etc go unhindered

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top