Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 10:40 PM

Re: Voting ban for those over retirement age

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
And possibly there is an argument that kids shouldn’t be allowed to go to uni and come out straight into politics or indeed teaching , that ‘life’ also teaches you things and you shouldn’t be allowed in either of these professions until you have worked in the workplace until at least 35 years of age ..

Quite how David Cameron ( a millionare the day he was born ) Eton private educated could ever ever know what it’s like to get up every morning at 5 am to go do a 12 hour shift ....
how a teacher at the age of 22 is equipped to set kids and guide them for a LIFETIME in industry having never actually done a days real work in her life is beyond me
Hear hear, on both counts.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
And possibly there is an argument that kids shouldn’t be allowed to go to uni and come out straight into politics or indeed teaching , that ‘life’ also teaches you things and you shouldn’t be allowed in either of these professions until you have worked in the workplace until at least 35 years of age ..

Quite how David Cameron ( a millionare the day he was born ) Eton private educated could ever ever know what it’s like to get up every morning at 5 am to go do a 12 hour shift ....
how a teacher at the age of 22 is equipped to set kids and guide them for a LIFETIME in industry having never actually done a days real work in her life is beyond me
Spot on Marmaduke.....
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 11:10 PM

The opinion of Cambridge Prof David Runciman. 2 months ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...rsity-academic

Can understand what he is saying.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 11:16 PM

yes he's got a point a bunch of oldies running the country and a bunch of oldies voting for them - doomed I say doomed!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
The opinion of Cambridge Prof David Runciman. 2 months ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...rsity-academic

Can understand what he is saying.
Give 6 year old children the vote!
What a complete prat.

I always realised that some academics live in a fantasy world.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 03:53 PM

A balance of innovation and experience to get the best results in the political process is what he is advocating. The problem is would they simply vote the same as their parents.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 04:26 PM

Hi

We have not done well by our kids.

They are not all stupid either.

We knew over 20 years ago that increasing lifespans were unaffordable in terms of pensions and increased healthcare costs.

We did nothing, both Parties kicked it into touch rather than face the reality that NI had to increase massively.

No more Technical Colleges, apprenticeships run down to virtually nothing.

We are desperately short of tradesmen and engineers, we import them and leave our youngsters to minimum wage jobs.

We used to train nurses and Doctors, cost them nothing to train, just had to stay and work for 3 years.

We had Nurses Homes and Junior Doctors Accommodation.

Now we charge them to train and then rack them off even more by offering foreign ones cash incentives to come and work here when have trained for nothing.

I am English, my kids went to English Uni, I payed a mint for Tuition Fees.

If I had been Scottish and they had gone to a Scottish Uni, I would have had nothing to pay.

If I had been German or French and my kids had gone to a Scottish Uni, I would not have had to pay either.

The over £30k I forked out would have been better used used towards a deposit for a house.

Our kids are our future, I am annoyed by so many on here knocking them.

They are not all idiots or snowflakes.

Guy has his Combat Medicine Certificate and his Close Protection Qualification.

He is well aware of the threats posed by Radical Muslims and in particular to the threat they pose to his lesbian sister.

I am very, very, proud of him.

They are not all bad.

My daughter is no push over either.

I would love to put her in a room with our ISIS returner.

I know who would be walking out of the room.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

19-02-2019, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We knew over 20 years ago that increasing lifespans were unaffordable in terms of pensions and increased healthcare costs.

We did nothing, both Parties kicked it into touch rather than face the reality that NI had to increase massively.

We are desperately short of tradesmen and engineers, we import them and leave our youngsters to minimum wage jobs.

We used to train nurses and Doctors, cost them nothing to train, just had to stay and work for 3 years.

Now we charge them to train and then rack them off even more by offering foreign ones cash incentives to come and work here when have trained for nothing.

If I had been Scottish and they had gone to a Scottish Uni, I would have had nothing to pay.

If I had been German or French and my kids had gone to a Scottish Uni, I would not have had to pay either.

The over £30k I forked out would have been better used used towards a deposit for a house.

He is well aware of the threats posed by Radical Muslims and in particular to the threat they pose to his lesbian sister.

They are not all bad.

A long list of interesting and appalling situations in this country today.

They all point to one thing, and one thing only:
the very poor mismanagement of the country.

The really upsetting thing is that I can see absolutely no changes being even considered, let alone made. It makes me wonder what this country will be like in, say, another twenty years.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

They are not all bad.

Swims,

Your children may be ok and moving forward - fair play to them and you.

However, many kids these days have no interest in becoming tradesmen or engineers for example. A bit of actual hard graft seems to frighten them to death. Many come out of college & Uni with some pathetic degree feeling they should be able to walk straight into some highly paid job.

I speak as I find / observe and just too many of them have been spoilt brats with a feeling of entitlement.
Some of them might wanna take their faces off their mobile phones and get off the playstations as well.

More than once we have taken on an apprentice re engineering. They were all sacked as they were permanently glued to their mobiles when they should have been listening to and helping the engineer they were with.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2019, 07:56 PM

Only reason they want to lower the voting age is because the younger population are by far the easiest to dupe and influence. It would give the establishment total control.

If you'd said 5 years ago that, just for a laugh, the media moguls would demonstrate their power by convincing young lads to wear their trousers half way down their legs with their underpants on full display, well, we'd have all laughed our socks off. But it happened.

Lowering the voting age would be a disaster for all. The youngsters would think they had control, until they got older, when they would see and realise how massively manipulated they were when young, how stupid they were. At that point they will be despairing that the next young generation was voting.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top