Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2019, 04:34 PM

Stain over Paint project

I've got some basic pine shelves which I originally stained, then painted with an oil based paint some years ago. I now want to take them back to stain if at all possible so have used paint stripper and/or a heat gun and most but not all, of the paint has gone.

I think to stain them without any of the paint showing, I need to use a gel stain - and probably several coats of that, followed by a varnish.

Before I buy the necessary stain and put in loads of work, can someone advise that the gel stain will cover?

Thanks very much.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2019, 07:24 PM

Re: Stain over Paint project

I wonder if it would be easier to gently sand them back to the original wood, then begin to stain?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2019, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
I wonder if it would be easier to gently sand them back to the original wood, then begin to stain?
I think so too. I don't think any stain will cover paint very well.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2019, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
That would be my thought too.
Or possibly replace?
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2019, 09:42 PM

Thanks - difficult to explain but they would be next to impossible to replace.

I've already put a lot of work into stripping the paint off with paint stripper and a heat gun but there's still a residue.

There are a variety of woodstains on the market......and some are reputed to cover paint and other imperfections in the wood - which would resolve my problem but it would be good to get confirmation of this and preferably a recommendation.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2019, 10:50 PM

Wood stains generally work by soaking into the wood. If there is any paint left on the wood the stain will not go through it and you will be left with 'patches' where small bits of the paint were not removed.

How 'bad' it will look depends on just how many bits of paint you were unable to remove but in woodworking circles it's not recommended to apply stain over paint.

The hard facts are that once you paint wood with either an oil based or water based paint you will never get back to a true natural wood look.

That's why I try to avoid painting any wood any time any where. I much prefer to use Cuprinol wood preserver and their stains especially the 'natural' shades, and then I usually give two or three coats of varnish on top. This keeps the natural beauty of the wood and provides a long lasting finish even for outdoors ('tho the outdoors woodwork will need re-varnishing every 2 or 3 years)

Be very skeptical of any manufacturer who claims their stains will 'hide' paintwork.

P.S. Even with Cuprinol avoid the 'water based' stains they are useless, always pick the 'solvent based' products, they cost a bit more but are well worth it.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 09:37 AM

All my furniture "renovations" tend to be distressed, shabby chic that way it doesn't matter if old paint etc shows through
Lindyloo
isle of wight

24-02-2019, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
All my furniture "renovations" tend to be distressed, shabby chic that way it doesn't matter if old paint etc shows through
Trouble is - it's not intentionally distressed!!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

24-02-2019, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Trouble is - it's not intentionally distressed!!
Don't tell anyone
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2019, 11:25 AM

I would sand it down too to get rid of all the paint then you have options....I would probably use a coloured Danish oil with is quick and easy and would give a lovely natural finish...I used it on the island in my kitchen...you can keep giving it another coat too ....for a deeper luxurious finish.

Good luck....it would be nice to see the finished shelves
...we need pics

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top