Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2012, 11:15 PM

Shocked at lack of respect....

Very rarely do I get angry, but this incident made me just that! Met up with my Sister and her hubby in local Cemetery to lay wreaths on Mum and Dad's grave. Walking back to car, another car came down the same path and we assumed he was going to park in front of us-paths are only wide enough for one car to park. He didn't park up, but decided he was going to get past us one way or another, so he went onto the grass verge with the passenger side wheels and drove over 9 graves leaving deep furrows as he went. At one point he got stuck because the ground was so soft. We stood there in disbelief at what he'd done.

My Sister and B-in-Law went to speak to him to ask why he had done that and all he said was there was no-one around and he wanted to get past!

Got his Reg. no., make and colour of car and reported him to Council. Got a phone call from the Community Crime and Safety Officer who has asked if we would be willing to give statements and if necessary go to court as he may be prosecuted for Criminal Damage. We have agreed to do that as it was totally unnecessary for him to do what he did-all he needed to do was wait another minute and we would have moved.

I will never understand the mentality of some people, and he should be thoroughly ashamed of himself-don't think he would have been too pleased if someone had drove over the grave he was visiting
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2012, 11:33 PM

Re: Shocked at lack of respect....

That is appalling. I'm so glad you decided on the action you've taken. Too many people stand by and do nothing. His actions were indeed criminal. Let us know how you get on, lass.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2012, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
That is appalling. I'm so glad you decided on the action you've taken. Too many people stand by and do nothing. His actions were indeed criminal. Let us know how you get on, lass.
His behaviour and attitude was disgraceful and we just couldn't leave it at that. Haven't heard anything more yet, but will let you know the outcome.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2012, 11:49 PM

That was absolutely disgraceful, what has happened to respect these days?

You did right to report him, Mary and I hope he gets what he deserves and feels thoroughly ashamed of himself after.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2012, 11:50 PM

Good Heavens, I have never heard anything like it.

I hope he is made to pay for repairs to the graves or better still has to do it himself.

Luckily the cemetery that is used by our friends and family has a large parking area and lanes to get close to the grave with your car which is good for people with lack of mobility.

He would have gotten a good "talking to" if it were me there, however I doubt it would have done any good.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2012, 12:01 AM

Well done Merz, I would do exactly the same, this behaviour is disgraceful at any time but especially at Christmas when Folks are visiting their loved ones who have passed on, to see their graves disturbed in any way is most upsetting for them. Shame on the heartless thug.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK

20-12-2012, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
That was absolutely disgraceful, what has happened to respect these days?

You did right to report him, Mary and I hope he gets what he deserves and feels thoroughly ashamed of himself after.
Originally Posted by oldbugger ->
Good Heavens, I have never heard anything like it.

I hope he is made to pay for repairs to the graves or better still has to do it himself.

Luckily the cemetery that is used by our friends and family has a large parking area and lanes to get close to the grave with your car which is good for people with lack of mobility.

He would have gotten a good "talking to" if it were me there, however I doubt it would have done any good.
Mags, he does deserve everything he gets and more in my opinion...

OB, I think they'll make sure he pays for the repairs. There are many paths in the cemetery making easy access to graves, just not enough room to pass each other. My B-in-Law would have given him a mouthful, but we didn't want any confrontation, just his car reg. no.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK

20-12-2012, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Well done Merz, I would do exactly the same, this behaviour is disgraceful at any time but especially at Christmas when Folks are visiting their loved ones who have passed on, to see their graves disturbed in any way is most upsetting for them. Shame on the heartless thug.
Does seem worse at this time of year Jem. People had visited 3 or 4 of the graves and left wreaths, and probably the other graves would be visited as well.....very upsetting for those people.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2012, 12:08 AM

Unfortunately, most old cemeteries don't cater for car use, but that's absolutely no excuse whatsoever. I know this sounds a bit mad, but surely the Council could set up some sort of one way system around graveyards, so that things like this don't happen again. It would only take a few pots of road paint and, when you consider what Councils waste in a year, it's not too much to ask.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK

20-12-2012, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Unfortunately, most old cemeteries don't cater for car use, but that's absolutely no excuse whatsoever. I know this sounds a bit mad, but surely the Council could set up some sort of one way system around graveyards, so that things like this don't happen again. It would only take a few pots of road paint and, when you consider what Councils waste in a year, it's not too much to ask.
It is a large cemetery with many paths going round, and I thought maybe they could come up with some sort of 'system' for going round. Only problem I can think of with that Mollie is that a one-way system could take you away from the grave you want to visit, and then you would always get some idiot going the wrong way! Some people can't even follow the arrows marked on a normal car park!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top