Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 08:37 PM

Re: Agapanthus

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I've seen blue agapanthus but not the purple ones, AC.

I leave mine in the ground all year round and tend to mulch then over for protection during the winter months.

Check out the "Hoyland Plant Centre" Mags. They have purple ones and even do a couple of black ones - "Black Magic" and also "Black Panther". Their Agapanthus are beautiful.
I've got their "Queen Mum" and also "Purple Cloud" and various other shades of blue.
chris
hebrides.uk
chris is female  chris has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 09:21 PM

Monty Don was showing his Agapanthus in his gardening prog last wk. He had them growing like wild fire. Mine are in a tub & not doing so well. Will plant them out ASAP.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 11:19 PM

They do like their roots restricted and that's certainly the case with mine, The ones in containers are doing so much better. If they are a newly bought plant they can take a couple or three years to really get started. Of course don't forget to feed them in containers as the soil/compost will run out of nutrients.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
Is agapanthus the Latin term? Does it have a common name?
They are known as Star of Bethlehem because of their shape and the fact that they flower at Christmas time.

They have very mixed reviews here, are everywhere and grow like a weed. They spread easily by seed and can get out of control (like that other, now declared noxious, weed Pampas Grass) A lot of them get beheaded by passers by when they flower to stop the seeds spreading.

Personally I wouldn't have them in my garden.

Oh yes, have heard them referred to as Lily of the Nile though they aren't a Lily and they come from South Africa.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 02:30 AM

What is so hateful about them may I ask? Just curious. We've never heard of them but do they give you hives, a rash, burns, dandruff?
Why do people want to beat the heck out of everything that grows? Although I'd love it if someone could stop poison ivy in its tracks as that stuff is horrible!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
What is so hateful about them may I ask? Just curious. We've never heard of them but do they give you hives, a rash, burns, dandruff?
Why do people want to beat the heck out of everything that grows? Although I'd love it if someone could stop poison ivy in its tracks as that stuff is horrible!
If you are referring to my post they are disliked by some because of the way they spread in the bush as a weed like many exotic plants they grow very well in this climate. In suburbia they are not a particular problem and quite popular with some gardeners, personally I think they are just not very interesting as a plant.

You only have to look at the problems cause by introduced plants like Lantana to see why people are wary of some easily spread plants.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 02:59 PM

They certainly wouldn't flower in GB at Christmas Bruce, A very different climate to yours in December.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
They do like their roots restricted and that's certainly the case with mine, The ones in containers are doing so much better. If they are a newly bought plant they can take a couple or three years to really get started. Of course don't forget to feed them in containers as the soil/compost will run out of nutrients.
Now THAT'S interesting 'cos I gave up on mine because they just would not flower any more!

They were fine at first - took a while before we got a good show but then nothing - loads of foliage but sod-all else!

Dunno whether to give 'em another try now 'cos I dumped ours! stevmk2
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Check out the "Hoyland Plant Centre" Mags. They have purple ones and even do a couple of black ones - "Black Magic" and also "Black Panther". Their Agapanthus are beautiful.
I've got their "Queen Mum" and also "Purple Cloud" and various other shades of blue.
Thank you Mups, I've just had a look at the Hoyland Plant Centre ..... I'm amazed at the number of different varieties there!

I've taken a liking to the Black Magic, that's a very unusual colour!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 11:10 PM

He's a very nice man to talk to on the phone as well Mags. I had problems with my first Queen Mum so he sent me another one totally free of charge. He sells his own special Agapanthus feed mail order too.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top