Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2009, 09:44 PM

Re: Unusual veg?

Originally Posted by PPHammer ->
The tinda, also called Indian round gourd or apple gourd or Indian Baby Pumpkin is what I turned up on google. Karela is also know as the bitter gourd or bitter melon (and it is very bitter) it is supposed to be good for diabetics - I think I read somewhere it controls blood sugar
I wonder if that's the same as Chinese bitter melon (foo gwa)
, Momordica charantia? The bitterness is due to quinine. I've had bitter melon soup, and it's definitely an acquired taste!
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2010, 03:05 PM

Kerala??-now that is pushing your luck-and in Yorkshire without a semi tropical greenhouse-forget it.

And Okra is hard as well--lovely flowers but you will do well to get more than a couple of fruit.

Face it--some things are best bought from shops--stick to what grows best in our climate
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2010, 03:17 PM

I really really wanted to grow butternut squash too.

It`s over rated--look for `Potimarron`-nice squash with a firm flesh that roasts well and a real hint of chestnuts in the flavour
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2010, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->
I really really wanted to grow butternut squash too.

It`s over rated--look for `Potimarron`-nice squash with a firm flesh that roasts well and a real hint of chestnuts in the flavour
But trying new things is part of the fun of gardening! If it succeeds, good; if not, well now you know it's not practical to grow in your climate. I like to try something new every year.Anyone getting loads of seed catalogues in the mail? I have dozens already .....
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->
Kerala??-now that is pushing your luck-and in Yorkshire without a semi tropical greenhouse-forget it.

And Okra is hard as well--lovely flowers but you will do well to get more than a couple of fruit.

Face it--some things are best bought from shops--stick to what grows best in our climate
lol - that's a bit negative. I am hoping for a hot summer

But if I fail, I will buy them
Old git
West Deeping Lincs

06-01-2010, 05:21 PM

lol - that's a bit negative. I am hoping for a hot summer

I had better put my gardening hat on rather than my `old git` one!!

I have grown Okra (in a greenhouse ) in Yorkshire-I had allotments(six at one time) in Leeds from 1977-1993 but they are prone to keeling over when only a few inches tall. The flowers are stunning-one to try for fun more than a decent crop though.

I`m still trying to get `yard long beans` to grow well--I`ve seen them growing not far from here so I know it can be done,but I have failed for two years running
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

06-01-2010, 05:46 PM

I did yard long beans a few years ago, apparently they like our hot humid Summers. Same with the okra.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2010, 08:19 PM

I know where to come for advice now - you seem to have a lot of experience. If they don't crop, I won't worry too much. If they do, I will post a picture
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

06-01-2010, 08:33 PM

Coincidentally I just got another seed catalogue and it pointed out that as yard long beans are from south Asia, they love warm days and nights, No wonder they did well here.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs

06-01-2010, 08:37 PM

I know where to come for advice now

some know me from other sites and here I give myself licence to play the `old git`-but on gardening matters it`s genuine-advice is from experience-that`s not to say is right-just the way I see it

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top