Join for free
Geordiegirl
Suffolk UK
Geordiegirl is female  Geordiegirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2010, 11:26 AM

Moles!!!!!!!!!!

We have a big mole problem we got up the other morning to find 7 mole hills on the back lawn and some of them were big, last year between the cats and ourselves we caught 14,normally you can track the run between two hills and put the trap in there, but they are becoming very clever not only are they now going under the trap and springing it without being caught they are going straight down from the hill about 18 ins before the start tracking onSomeone has told me to put one half of a fire lighter down each hole to deter them, its a new one on me but willing to give it a go as tried nearly everything else. Anyone tried it or can you come up with anything else?? _Please
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2010, 06:04 PM

Re: Moles!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Geordiegirl ->
We have a big mole problem we got up the other morning to find 7 mole hills on the back lawn and some of them were big, last year between the cats and ourselves we caught 14,normally you can track the run between two hills and put the trap in there, but they are becoming very clever not only are they now going under the trap and springing it without being caught they are going straight down from the hill about 18 ins before the start tracking onSomeone has told me to put one half of a fire lighter down each hole to deter them, its a new one on me but willing to give it a go as tried nearly everything else. Anyone tried it or can you come up with anything else?? _Please
I once put Zo-flora disinfectant down the hole, they moved next door.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2010, 10:05 PM

I use kids plastic windmills, just stick them near the holes, they do not like the vibrations....
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2010, 10:49 PM

Moles would never do on the tennis lawn but on the veg garden mole soil was most welcome

Check this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXO4m...eature=related

Hope that works--I met Harry-gone now but a real gent
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2010, 03:41 AM

We don't have moles in the City, thank God, but I've heard that windmill thing does work. I'd rather have them than squirrels!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2010, 06:15 PM

This won't sound nice but when I was a TV engineer, I had to go to a sewage farm where they had a TV in one of the buildings. As a strange sort of tip, I was given some fertilizer made from human sewage. It sounds horrible but it was completely odourless and had the texture of dry grit.

I thanked him dubiously and took it home. I just so happened that I had to rotavate the garden and re-turf it. Before the turfs went down, I put the fertilizer all over the area. Well, the problem was that the grass grew so fast that it was a job to keep up with the mowing!

On the plus side though, the moles wouldn't go near our garden (can't blame 'em). They were a nuisance to the neighbours either side of us but our lawn stayed a mole-free zone.

So it seems there is another remedy for moles. If you can get some of this fertilizer and rake it down to the soil, it could work for you. Just have to not think too deeply about what it is as you sprinkle it around!

Failing that, the comedian Jasper Carrot recommends sitting on top of a step ladder during the night with a torch and shotgun.
Wanda
High Peak, Derbyshire, UK
Wanda is female  Wanda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2010, 08:24 PM

There seems to be an awful lot of mole activity at the moment. None in my own garden, but everywhere I go dog walking there are absolutely loads of fresh mole hills. I wonder if the recent very cold weather has anything to do with it?

Must admit though - I really have a soft spot for these velvet suited little creatures!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top