Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2009, 07:21 PM

Slug prevention/fingers crossed.

I have been busy today cutting the tops and bottoms off plastic drink bottles (donated by neighbours), making a circle of cuts an inch and half deep along the top of the bottles then turning them over to form a collar.

I am hoping these little contraptions will keep the slugs off my purple sprouting broccoli.

I am on my third batch of broccoli plants, the first lot were not bothered at all by slugs and were doing magnificently until the cabbage white butterflies got them

I replaced these plants and installed netting, the slugs got them

Lot number three of plants now have netting and plastic bottles..

I will grow purple sprouting broccoli and no pests are going to stop me

Ps have tried beer traps/porridge/egg shells/ to dispose of the dreaded slugs. I now undertake nightly perambulations with a torch/bucket and trowel and the slug population is decreasing
Anne
UK
Anne is female  Anne has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2009, 07:33 PM

Re: Slug prevention/fingers crossed.

My FIL puts a circle of salt round his plants which seems to stop them in their tracks
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2009, 07:39 PM

Good luck Meg.

What do you make of this contraption? If it works it would be worth the money.

I like the Fito Slug Stoppa (apart from its name ) -totally inert and quite long-lasting
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2009, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Anne ->
My FIL puts a circle of salt round his plants which seems to stop them in their tracks
Hi Anne thank you but I tried salt, it didn't bother the slugs, I think they tunnelled underneath it . I got a bit on the plants and it burnt the leaves
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

17-08-2009, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
Good luck Meg.

What do you make of this contraption? If it works it would be worth the money.

I like the Fito Slug Stoppa (apart from its name ) -totally inert and quite long-lasting
Hi DM thank you. Number one looks expensive , I have already had to buy new plants and netting/canes/corner supports .... the bottles were free.

The second option I would consider, I have to be carefully because my dog Chloe eats anything she can get into her mouth and consequently spends a lot of time visiting the vets
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2009, 09:46 PM

Hope it works for you Meg...Nothing worse than growling something to have slugs and snails eat it!!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2009, 12:23 AM

I've heard about the salt too

Good luck Meg!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2009, 08:57 AM

Years ago I sprinkled salt around some young lettuce plants, hoping to keep the slugs away ............... it killed all the lettuces!!!
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2009, 01:43 PM

Salt is not the greatest thing to use in the garden.
Grit sometimes deters the slimey ones, or crushed eggshell
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2009, 03:50 PM

I just put down Homebase slug pellets, They state they are safe for animals, and they DO work.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top