Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2009, 04:44 PM

Re: Slug prevention/fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by galty ->
I just put down Homebase slug pellets, They state they are safe for animals, and they DO work.
Thanks Galty I really don't like to use slug pellets because I worry about the effect they might have on the birds and frogs in my garden if they eat the poisoned slugs.
My dog Chloe is a pain and will eat anything she can get in her mouth including soil so I would not risk slug pellets no matter how safe they are meant to be it is not worth the risk .

I have been trialling the plastic bottle covers for a few days now and last night was the first night with the new tender plants. Big sigh of relief all was well this morning
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2009, 07:09 PM

Have you looked here, Meg? ......... it may give you a few more ideas to try...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2009, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Have you looked here, Meg? ......... it may give you a few more ideas to try...
Thanks Mags I have tried many of those suggestions except the copper tape which was quite expensive.

When I did the nightly collection tonight I could only find six slugs so the numbers are depleting and the plastic bottle collars seem to be doing their job. The slugs may climb up the bottles but they can't get around the frilly collar.
Lou
UK
Lou is female  Lou has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2009, 12:52 AM

Good Luck I hope you find something to stop the slugs coming into your garden. We have them here too. Nightmare when I let the dog out at night, I usually have to go out on slug patrol first to make sure the dog doesn't eat them x
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2009, 06:48 PM

I use to on a summer eveing scoop out a bit of soil and put down a saucer and fill it with beer.

Never caught a slug but would have a drunken dog falling all over the place.

Couple of weeks ago just caught "River Cottage" which showed the same way of catching slugs but their brillant idea was to put a ridge tile over it.

They then showed how many slugs they caught, I turned over before they showed how to cook and eat them.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2009, 08:10 PM

I once did a lesson on Victorian Life with young children. They had 5 minutes to run round and look at the resources then come back and share. We had put clear (we thought) posters round the walls with various bits of information on about conditions in Victorian London.
One lad told us earnestly that poor people lived in Slugs.
So do you realise you may well be evicting whole families of Victorian working class?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2009, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
I once did a lesson on Victorian Life with young children. They had 5 minutes to run round and look at the resources then come back and share. We had put clear (we thought) posters round the walls with various bits of information on about conditions in Victorian London.
One lad told us earnestly that poor people lived in Slugs.
So do you realise you may well be evicting whole families of Victorian working class?
I like that!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

25-08-2009, 12:45 AM

I am pleased to report the 'bottle collars with a frill 'are working well
No slug damage for a week..
I have found a video of someone using a similar method. The collars I have made are taller than these and I haven't cut spikes out, if you do cut bits out it leaves gaps, cutting and folding seems to be sufficient ...

http://myzerowaste.com/2009/06/plastic-bottles-slug/
Vicki
Croydon, Surrey
Vicki is female 

25-08-2009, 06:51 AM

They are a giant pain in the bum, and no mistake.

My gladioli have suffered really badly, and I'm quite angry, as they are one of the first things I've actually grown from a bulb.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2009, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I now undertake nightly perambulations with a torch/bucket and trowel and the slug population is decreasing
Meg I wish you luck in your war on slugs. When we moved to this part of Czechland in 2005 we had none, but in the last two years the slug population has increased by millions, now we just can't get rid of them

How many do you get in your nightly patrols ? Some nights I've got 50 or more in my bucket.

Apparently salt is quite good but you will need a lot to protect those purple brocoli.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top