Join for free
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 11:14 AM

Recommend varieties of runner beans.

I have grown a variety of runner beans called 'Aintree' this year.
It appears I am going to get a very big crop and the flavour of the beans is good too.

What varieties have other members grown and what were they like for crop and flavour.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 11:52 AM

Re: Recommend varieties of runner beans.

Thanks for the recommendation. Do you think the name is a lovely horseracing pun for a runner?
I quite like Painted Lady, for their two-colour flowers mostly. Although runners are a very English vegetable, they're not my favourite so I usually just grow 8 or 10 plants up a wigwam of poles.
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2009, 01:04 PM

We've grown "Best of all" this year for the first time. Excellent cropper and good flavour. I am very fond of runner beans.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2009, 01:04 AM

Hi DM Painted Lady does have very pretty flowers.

I have heard 'Best of all ' is good Angie.

A lot of the mass grown beans seem to have very little flavour, I guess they are grown for crop size. I was looking for a bean with a really good flavour.

I have a few 'Achievement Merit' but planted them later so they aren't quite ready yet, the crop will be smaller than 'Aintree' but I don't mind that though, flavour is all important.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2009, 01:24 AM

Nice one Meg!

I'd love to get into growing veg. You'll have to post some tips for us guys!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top