Join for free
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2009, 08:35 PM

Lcal dialects

I can understand most UK dialects, even the Teuchters from Northwest Scotland and the islands, even Yorkshire men, . . but Geordies, . . canny lad and all that, . . and Aberdonians, . . fit way ye gangin loon ? they're all beyond me I worked with an Aberdonian for years and still can't translate them.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2009, 08:45 PM

Re: Lcal dialects

I was born about 20 miles South of where I live now and moved at 10 years old 20 miles North of where I live now but the slang the older folk use here is beyond me ie hubby's mum it all Bist ya, canna ya, donna ya and the use thy thou and thus loads too...
Sue
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2009, 08:49 PM

An Aberdeen word, see if you can translate it, . . Quine, . . I rest my case.

I know what it means BTW.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2009, 09:59 PM

Quine...........woman...Not I am not an Aberdonian, Hampshire born &bred....The one that gets me, I know what it means is loon!!!
nero
Central Scotland

01-09-2009, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Moli ->
Quine...........woman...Not I am not an Aberdonian, Hampshire born &bred....The one that gets me, I know what it means is loon!!!
Hmmm, I should have disqualified residents of Aberdeen shouldn't I.

Loon is a friend or manny as they say up there, . . but why do they say fit ?
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2009, 10:06 PM

I pretty well know the local dialect now....Have more trouble with my sons girlfriend she is from Birmingham!!!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top