Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2017, 10:27 PM

A warning about hacking of seed firm

According to my gardening magazine, Chiltern Seeds website was knocked offline at the end of February, because customers sensitive personal data was stolen in a hacking attack.
Customers were then send emails by the hackers, who attempted to trick people into giving away their credit card details. Names, addresses, email addresses and telephone numbers were stolen.

Chiltern say it was old information from several years ago, but have since beefed up their website and security incase.
They found out shortly afterwards that customers were being send phishing emails supposedly from Chiltern, saying they had won a hamper and they were to fill in their credit card details in order to receive it.

Apparently the only saving grace was that these 'Chiltern' emails were poorly written and contained a lot of spelling mistakes, so will hopefully "ring alarm bells" they say.

So if you deal with this company and receive any peculiar emails about hampers, be aware..
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2017, 08:42 AM

Re: A warning about hacking of seed firm

Thanks for the warning mups, I know why they do it but I do wish they would find a more legal pastime, it's rather tedious how many hacking cases happen these days
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2017, 11:00 AM

They are almost everywhere trying it on.
Recently I was on a site, where to obtain items you had to pay of course.
It had at the payment page a list of options for payment stating that Visa, MasterCard, PayPal, etc. But it also wanted your card details.
The bells rang when if you wanted to pay by PayPal, it would be obvious that one would have an account. So why would they need your card details.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2017, 11:02 AM

Yes I abandoned a basket of goods on a site the other day when they wouldn't let me skip giving card details, they find need them when you pay by PayPal so why ask for them ?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top