Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 04:15 PM

Re: Tomatoes

They're turning yellow, had a look at them last night and it looks like the ripening process has started.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 04:20 PM

Woo-hoo!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 04:30 PM

Won't be long now!
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 07:59 PM

Nero (and Yola and anyone else left with small green tomatoes which will not ripen)

Excuse the rather flowery prose - i've lifted this verbatim. However, I've also made it, and as a non pickle lover, cannot recommend it highly enough

PICKLED GREEN TOMATOES - German recipe

Too many pickle recipes read – and taste – as though they are the last desperate solution to the problem of gluts. Green tomatoes are the classic example. This German recipe calls for green tomatoes ‘small enough to eat whole’, which means growing them deliberately and picking the clusters of small fruit while they are still green, firm and fresh. One of the best varieties to grow is the cherry tomato called Gardener’s Delight. This has the great advantage that the skins of the fruit are unlikely to split.

This is an extraordinary pickle. Once you have tasted it you will never again forget that the tomato really is a fruit. It goes well with cheese, even better with pâtés and terrines.

Makes about 5lb (2.2kg)

5lb (2.25kg) green tomatoes, 1 inch (2.5cm) diameter maximum, stems removed
2 pints (1.2 litres) malt vinegar
6 cloves
1 x 1 inch (2.5cm) cinnamon stick
½ small nutmeg or 2 blades mace)
pinch salt
1 lb sugar
1 pint (600ml) white wine vinegar

Place the tomatoes in a large pan with the malt vinegar. Stir very gently and bring to the boil, then strain immediately. (The malt vinegar can be thrown away or saved for making chutney.) Tip the tomatoes very carefully into a bowl, taking care not to split the skins.

Boil the cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg or mace, salt and sugar with the wine vinegar in a separate pan, then pour hot over the tomatoes. Cover and leave for 24 hours.

On the third day, heat the tomatoes and the liquid together, but do not boil. Lift out the tomatoes with a slotted spoon and pack them carefully into warmed jars. Throw out any that have accidentally split their skins because they will ruin the effect of the pickle.

Reduce the liquid until it turns slightly syrupy, then strain off the spices and pour the cooling pickle over the tomatoes, making sure they are completely covered. Cover and store for 3 months before opening. Keeps well.

(Make it now for xmas/new year)
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2009, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the recipe DM, . . I was out doing a prince Charles this morning, . . yes I was talking to them and they started to blush.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2009, 07:23 PM

My tomatoes are ripening now but they are a bit dry and 'woolly' not sure why. I have fed and watered them .
The plants were given to me by a neighbour, I wish I had chosen my own variety now..
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2009, 08:57 PM

My friend just brought me some more tomatoes! He doesn't know the variety, but I like these; they're meatier than my Super Marmande. Think I'll save some seed from them. If they're a hybrid won't breed true, but will give it a try anyhow.
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2009, 10:48 PM

I wonder if the flavour of tomatoes has been affected by the lack of sunshine this year. Mine are generally OK, but don't have that lovely sweet tomatoey tartness about them. I think the sugars just aren't there this year.
SageCat
Suffolk, UK
SageCat is female  SageCat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2009, 11:31 PM

For the first time I have grown my own tomatoes, and being a tomato addict I don't really know why I've never done it before. I've been like a child watching with wonder as they've grown and ripened! They taste absolutley gorgeous! Here in Suffolk, we've had a lovely summer with lots of sun and hardly any rain at all which has probably helped. It was a momentous occasion when I picked and ate my first home-grown one!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

12-09-2009, 02:08 AM

Oh SC, isn't a wonderful difference picking one dead ripe from your own garden!? Warm and tasting of Summer. I start my own from seed, and even after years of doing it, it's still like a little miracle: from that tiny little seed in March to this lovely juicy fruit in July!

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top