Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 03:30 PM

Have you ever been lonely?

This is something that is close to my heart.
There are 1,200,000 lonely older people in England!
I do my bit to help this situation.

One day my sons will leave the nest, and who knows what the future holds for either me or my hubby.
There are times when I have felt lonely, only because something has made me very sad, so I shut myself away.

Have you ever been lonely?
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 03:43 PM

Re: Have you ever been lonely?

I worked with elderly house bound folk , I met many who hardly saw another soul , or maybe a carer for 20 mins a day to get them up or into bed , yet they never moaned , they had a kind of quiet acceptance , I met relatives who felt put out that they had to pop in on mother or father for 15 mins to check on them saying "at my age etc etc " . I guess I've seen it all so I think life was teaching me about future aging and loneliness when I was young .

Now it's my turn , luckily I'm fit and active and I can still keep busy , yet I get lonely at times and hardly see my kids , I don't ask anything of them ever as they have their life's while they are young , for one day it'll be their turn .

Loneliness is an odd thing , you can still feel lonely when your with people , no one can take it away from you , I'm like the old folk I once knew who had that quiet acceptance .
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I worked with elderly house bound folk , I met many who hardly saw another soul , or maybe a carer for 20 mins a day to get them up or into bed , yet they never moaned , they had a kind of quiet acceptance , I met relatives who felt put out that they had to pop in on mother or father for 15 mins to check on them saying "at my age etc etc " . I guess I've seen it all so I think life was teaching me about future aging and loneliness when I was young .

Now it's my turn , luckily I'm fit and active and I can still keep busy , yet I get lonely at times and hardly see my kids , I don't ask anything of them ever as they have their life's while they are young , for one day it'll be their turn .

Loneliness is an odd thing , you can still feel lonely when your with people , no one can take it away from you , I'm like the old folk I once knew who had that quiet acceptance .
Thank-you for your post and that is exactly my thoughts on this matter.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 03:55 PM

Have lived alone for many years, but have friends at t'other end of a 'phone that I speak to daily and then I can chat on here too, so am never alone per se and therefore not lonely.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

23-01-2018, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Have lived alone for many years, but have friends at t'other end of a 'phone that I speak to daily and then I can chat on here too, so am never alone per se and therefore not lonely.
I am glad to read that Joe.
But many are lonely.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 04:28 PM

Yes frequently. I can go days without seeing or speaking to anyone. For example, I have seen nor spoken to anyone since Saturday. Boredom also is a problem due to my arthritis and immobility, it is very frustrating not being able to do what I wiuld like to do. I hate getting old.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

23-01-2018, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
Yes frequently. I can go days without seeing or speaking to anyone. For example, I have seen nor spoken to anyone since Saturday. Boredom also is a problem due to my arthritis and immobility, it is very frustrating not being able to do what I would like to do. I hate getting old.
That is awful CeeCee. This is exactly what is wrong in society.
I have neighbours, who would be the same if I didn't pop round to see them.
At least you have forum friends
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 09:34 PM

Mmmm, have I ever been lonely? Not sure - can't remember ever feeling lonely. Alone, yes sometimes.

I actually like my own company. I can be who I want, do what I want, if I want. I get no dross if I don't want it - I'm in control - yay! . Selfish I expect it's called.

I do love people and like to think I get on with most. I was always very gregarious but now not so. It's pure heaven to wind down after such a frantic life

I often ponder why I shut myself away with myself. Guess it's safer for me and everyone else
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

23-01-2018, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Mmmm, have I ever been lonely? Not sure - can't remember ever feeling lonely. Alone, yes sometimes.

I actually like my own company. I can be who I want, do what I want, if I want. I get no dross if I don't want it - I'm in control - yay! . Selfish I expect it's called.

I do love people and like to think I get on with most. I was always very gregarious but now not so. It's pure heaven to wind down after such a frantic life

I often ponder why I shut myself away with myself. Guess it's safer for me and everyone else

Perhaps Pesta you just prefer your own company.
There is nothing wrong with that.
I often like the peace and quiet, when hubby and boys go out.
It is the people that need just a little company that I feel for. Thank-you for your post.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 09:44 PM

I have not spoken to my wife for several weeks. Not that I don't want to it is just that I can't get a word in

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top