Join for free
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 09:46 PM

The Worst Winter

A week ago my Dr told me to go to hospital as I been having breathing problems.,said I was expected & they were waiting for me. So I got a cab to A&E. walk in centre,It was heaving 6 sets of seating areasas fast as 1 person was calle for assessment their seat was taken, waiting time was one & half to two hour estimated time. Although I had a letter & told the reception I was expected I was told I had to wait to be assessed , afetr about an hour & half I was seen by a nurse, a blood test & ecg done, then I was taken to a cubicle in the ambulance side , helped onto a trlley & after a while a Dr came to see me, and said I was to be admitted.it wasnt long before I was taken to an assessment ward.The following night at 10 pm I was told I was going to another ward, I asked if I could stay till morning, but told NO my bed was needed for someone else..I spent 5 days in this ward, there was a fast turn overof patients with breathing problems, some only in for a few hours, nurses were so busy,trying to cope with bed making,bed pans etc.between two 5 bed wards,.I was so pleased to be sent homeon thursday
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 09:50 PM

Re: The Worst Winter

Are you feeling any better Deylon? Do you feel the 5 day stay was beneficial?
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 10:10 PM

I’m having breathing problems too Deylon. They have done loads of tests at the hospital but all come back negative, in the meantime they put me on anti bs. I managed to get a GP appointment this afternoon and she has changed my prescription but it’s a bit worrying cos nobody seems to know what the problem is. Hope you are feeling better now.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2018, 01:20 AM

Deylon, from that description, I sure hope you were better coming out than you were going in. It sounds exhausting.

I am glad you are home. Take care .
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2018, 04:22 PM

Hope the five days in meant you were treated well. Are you feeling any better? Or as better as you can be.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2018, 09:46 PM

I am still getting breathless when I do things and during the night,but I have been increasing my inhalers and they seem to help a bit,I dread going to bed in case I cant breath, but so far after an inhaler I get back to sleep. I asked for a Nebuliser at home ,as they helped in hospital,but they wont let me have one. Like you Val they dont seem to know the reason for it,now they just call it Asthma
P.S.Care in hospital not overly good,nurses no time for anyone,just make beds,take B.P,give meds ,no TLC,NO talk.Night time one sat in the corridor outside ward, but was not always to be seen when you couldnt sleep and wanted a nurse,if you rang the buzzer it could take a litle while for someone to come, Dr couldnt make up his mind,said on Wed. morning they wouldnt let me go while I was still using the nebuliser ,I needed it ot Wed. night ,so I geared myself up to staying in longer, then Thursmorning Dr came ,looked at my notes and said" Were sending you home today,no mention of the nebuliser
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2018, 10:26 PM

Deylon, my GP has decided I may have a chest infection and changed my antibiotics. I can’t help feeling that she reached this diagnosis because she didn’t know what else it could be. So far, I don’t have trouble at night, it’s only when I exert myself. I’ve never had inhalers. It must be frightening for you when you can’t breathe at night.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
I am still getting breathless when I do things and during the night,but I have been increasing my inhalers and they seem to help a bit,I dread going to bed in case I cant breath, but so far after an inhaler I get back to sleep. I asked for a Nebuliser at home ,as they helped in hospital,but they wont let me have one. Like you Val they dont seem to know the reason for it,now they just call it Asthma
P.S.Care in hospital not overly good,nurses no time for anyone,just make beds,take B.P,give meds ,no TLC,NO talk.Night time one sat in the corridor outside ward, but was not always to be seen when you couldnt sleep and wanted a nurse,if you rang the buzzer it could take a litle while for someone to come, Dr couldnt make up his mind,said on Wed. morning they wouldnt let me go while I was still using the nebuliser ,I needed it ot Wed. night ,so I geared myself up to staying in longer, then Thursmorning Dr came ,looked at my notes and said" Were sending you home today,no mention of the nebuliser
Insist on a nebuliser....I was diagnosed Asthmatic at 44 years old...never had chest problems and I had jobs/careers that would have been a no no with it, very physically demanding jobs so it was very scary when I had my first attacks.

I was refused a neb so bought one, best thing I've bought.

They should be a serious consideration to the NHS as they'd save thousands£ in treatment.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top