Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2018, 09:45 PM

Re: Positives or Negatives.

Positives:

Doing what I want, when I want, IF I want.
No commuting every day sitting in traffic jams.
Getting up when I want is the best feeling too. It seems to get later every day
Feeling my life is 'my time' now.
Oh and another - it's great to get away with being doolally or eccentric - it's expected

Negatives:

I've come to the conclusion stress was good in it's way. Without it I'm not darting around here there and everywhere now, so feel less fit and 'rounder' of girth.
I miss dealing with patients and that feeling of being involved and useful.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
The job I was doing before I retired I'd been doing for nearly 15 years. But about 2 years ago I started to get very fed up with it and by the time I left (last September) it had got to the point where I hated it I don't miss it at all.

I have retired early, I get 3 tiny pensions which don't cover my outgoings but I have savings which will more than see me over to state pension age.

One massive positive for me is the lack of stress. It's not that the job was rocket science or anything but just the expectations that were put on me. It got to the point where instead of seeing it as a challenge I saw it as a burden and there was no way I was going to manage another 6 years.

So, sod it, jack it in, get a life
Much the same for me Nicol. I had major surgery then a year later I was finding the job too physically demanding and stressful and I started to hate it. Retired early but had a husband who was working full time and decided we could manage financially on one wage as we had a small amount savings.

He then became seriously ill and as he is younger than me our income and savings took a huge knock. I do not regret retiring early though as I was at home to care for him. We have each other and I now have my State pension and we manage OK although my husband will never work again.
We do what we want, when we want and it's great.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 11:09 AM

Great answers all, my cunning plan had me retiring early but life had other ideas, but ive had to wait until 65, also had to wait until 63, to claim my bus pass.

Im hoping to look about to see if i can help volunteer at something, and would love to find a part time job of a few hours a week when im healed.

Add in a bit of swimiming if i still can to improve my mobility, cant wait.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Great answers all, my cunning plan had me retiring early but life had other ideas, but ive had to wait until 65, also had to wait until 63, to claim my bus pass.

Im hoping to look about to see if i can help volunteer at something, and would love to find a part time job of a few hours a week when im healed.

Nom it’s good to have some positive thoughts for your future, then you have something to strive for.

How is your physio going, is it helping you?
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 11:28 AM

Yes, life has a habit of getting in the way.

My husband had planned to retire at 60, had all his pensions in place etc...then he died at 51.

So grab life by the throat whenever you can, life is short.

It sounds to me like you're determined to stay as active as possible which is great, it's what you need to do, not sit and vegetate.

I hope all goes well for you
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 11:31 AM

Morning Mags, yes i have some plans im aiming for around Easter at the moment. Im doing two sessions of physio at the moment trying to aid balance and muscle strength making slight progress and ive set small, but hopefully achievable goals.

I went to a volunteer fair and had a chat to a few people, a pair run a community garden in a troubled estate, so ive offered to come down do a wildlife survey and take some photos and perhaps set up an exhibition. I may well be better off on my pension, and if so hope to buy another camera.

I will keep busy as much as possible, though i think my legs will never improve.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 11:51 AM

Morning Mags, yes i have some plans im aiming for around Easter at the moment. Im doing two sessions of physio at the moment trying to aid balance and muscle strength making slight progress and ive set small, but hopefully achievable goals.

I went to a volunteer fair and had a chat to a few people, a pair run a community garden in a troubled estate, so ive offered to come down do a wildlife survey and take some photos and perhaps set up an exhibition. I may well be better off on my pension, and if so hope to buy another camera.

I will keep busy as much as possible, though i think my legs will never improve.
Nom, I have read your posts for a couple of years, so feel I know a little about you. Your health problems have restricted what you want to do but I still feel that, if anybody will achieve their aims, it will be you!
I like the idea of the wildlife survey and, if I wanted an exhibition of bird photos, I couldn't think of anybody who could do a better one.
I wish you well, and hope that your bird photos will lead to more interesting little jobs.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

11-02-2018, 12:14 PM

Thanks Twink, ive had to drop one of my 3 survey sites as i cant get around the woodland because of the terrain, though the coastal, and urban sites are still about manageable, i need to keep busy as i feel a non entity during wintertime in what amounts to enforced hibernation.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 12:15 PM

I'm pleased to hear the physio is helping a bit Nom, that alone should give you a boost for your future, I also think it helps you mentally knowing you are achieving something.

The Wildlife survey, photos and the exhibition sound great Nom... just up your street , something you enjoy and would never tire of. I hope it all works out for you
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2018, 12:55 PM

Good for You Nom and all power to You Lad,I hope You have a long and happy retirement doing the things You love doing..I wish You all You wish for Yourself,x

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top