Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 02:35 PM

Re: Resurrection Day

Tradition must be upheld...according to Topol
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
Today we raise the coffin.
I know it seems a bit weird but it's a local tradition.
Whenever Blackburn Rovers or Preston North End are promoted or demoted a coffin in the appropriate livery is paraded through the village and "buried" in a local club cellar.
The road is closed off and there will be floats, music, food and maybe a pint or two.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burial_of_the_Coffin

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1oMV4bNwkz4
I just love some of these daft local celebrations, that make this country a little more different and pleasant. There are so many crazy things, like rolling and chasing that cheese down the hill, and other weird and wonderful traditions. We could all be doing with some cheering up, instead of people moaning all the time!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 04:27 PM

Looks to be a lot of fun for the community.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 11:45 PM

Exactly the same thing as the annual cheese rolling competition in Gloucester and the pancake races at Ripon and Olney - all local traditions that should be upheld.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 11:48 PM

Do they still have wellie wanging competitions?
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
Today we raise the coffin.
I know it seems a bit weird but it's a local tradition.
Whenever Blackburn Rovers or Preston North End are promoted or demoted a coffin in the appropriate livery is paraded through the village and "buried" in a local club cellar.
The road is closed off and there will be floats, music, food and maybe a pint or two.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burial_of_the_Coffin

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1oMV4bNwkz4

I watched the video, thanks for that....

Fun for all. I love parades and fun floats....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Do they still have wellie wanging competitions?

They still have a few up and down. The World Well Wanging competition is held in Upperthong (a village above Holmfirth).

Knur and Spell (Nipsy in some areas) is still played in Yorkshire too. That's where you have a stone on one end of a stick pivoted in the middle like a see-saw. You hit the other end, the stone flies up in the air and you have to hit it as hard as you can. The one that gets hit the furthest is the winner.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
They still have a few up and down. The World Well Wanging competition is held in Upperthong (a village above Holmfirth).

Knur and Spell (Nipsy in some areas) is still played in Yorkshire too. That's where you have a stone on one end of a stick pivoted in the middle like a see-saw. You hit the other end, the stone flies up in the air and you have to hit it as hard as you can. The one that gets hit the furthest is the winner.
Thank You for the info, Judd.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
obviously nothing better to do like help old people or clean streets. I am sure charities would like some help instead of this pathetic ritual

No nothing better to do than enjoy life.
A lot of people put in a lot of effort to make the day a success.
The event was sponsored by local businesses.
It brought many visitors to the village who spent a lot of cash.
I am sure that the police officers on duty were glad of the overtime.
( no resources were diverted from other duties)
Local charities benefited enormously from money raised.
Other local businesses had a profitable day ( ok a lot of those were places where people go to enjoy themselves so that probably doesn't count).
There was no trouble and no mess left ( apart from a few bubbles!)
I had a great day enjoying live music at different venues.

But if anyone feels that they need to dismiss it as a "pathetic ritual" feel free to do so.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I agree, it is stupid nonsense.

Yes fun and enjoyment is just stupid nonsense.
See above.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top