Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 07:08 AM

to all our american cousins - now there's a funny thing?

Does this go on in England also or is it purely yanky??

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...14&CMP=ema_632
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 09:11 AM

Re: to all our american cousins - now there's a funny thing?

Round about 1980 (I don’t remember the exact year) I was doing some computer related consultancy work at the Durham headquarters of the Department for National Savings. Many more women than men were employed there. I was told that married women were habitually refusing promotion if it meant that they would be earning more than their husbands.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Magoo ->
Round about 1980 (I don’t remember the exact year) I was doing some computer related consultancy work at the Durham headquarters of the Department for National Savings. Many more women than men were employed there. I was told that married women were habitually refusing promotion if it meant that they would be earning more than their husbands.
How weird! I haven't heard of that before. Could it have been for tax reasons I wonder?
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 09:26 AM

Although it never was an issue between us as a couple ...my ex didn't like It if people knew I earned more than him
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Although it never was an issue between us as a couple ...my ex didn't like It if people knew I earned more than him
I suppose men are different. It certainly wouldn't bother me. I would be pleased for you.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
How weird! I haven't heard of that before. Could it have been for tax reasons I wonder?
Absolutely nothing to do with tax. It was because the husbands would feel humiliated. Makes no sense today but then it was a serious issue.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

24-07-2018, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Magoo ->
Absolutely nothing to do with tax. It was because the husbands would feel humiliated. Makes no sense today but then it was a serious issue.
I suppose, thinking back to the 80s, I can remember some such cases. As you say, not so important here these days.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 09:36 AM

isn't it - try asking the Islam communities or the Indian/Pakistani communities ??
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

24-07-2018, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
isn't it - try asking the Islam communities or the Indian/Pakistani communities ??
Yes that's a fair point.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I suppose men are different. It certainly wouldn't bother me. I would be pleased for you.
And that's why Dongles...
you are you
And my ex is now ex

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top