Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 02:43 PM

National Service

I'm sorry if this thread duplicates another but I haven't seen one since I joined.

Do you believe we should bring it back?
How long should the service last?
Should it be asked of girls/women too?
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 02:51 PM

Re: National Service

They would never get away with National Service now as there would be too many complaints the minute someone was yelled at etc.

Gone are the days of cutting grass with scissors or cleaning stairs with a toothbrush. Shame really
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 02:53 PM

I certainly don't think it would do any one any harm. I wouldn't have minded doing it when I was young tbh and yes, girls should be included in the name of equality.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 02:55 PM

I do think it is a jolly good idea Rhain ; thank you for starting such a thoughtfull thread - yes get the little b..........ds organized and in hard training - get their weight down and muscles up - wot a grand idea - just needs some determination from the pollies and the police!!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
They would never get away with National Service now as there would be too many complaints the minute someone was yelled at etc.

Gone are the days of cutting grass with scissors or cleaning stairs with a toothbrush. Shame really
I know what you mean Solo, but perhaps the forces could show them what discipline really is.
Men in the forces were always under the command of their superior officer, and that teaching probably saved many lives...even if they didn't like it!
We are all too soft with young people now, but it doesn't teach them how to handle life and it's problems....... so perhaps the officers in the forces could do a better job than they rest of us are doing .
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I know what you mean Solo, but perhaps the forces could show them what discipline really is.
Men in the forces were always under the command of their superior officer, and that teaching probably saved many lives...even if they didn't like it!
We are all too soft with young people now, but it doesn't teach them how to handle life and it's problems....... so perhaps the officers in the forces could do a better job than they rest of us are doing .

Agree with the principle but there are too many now ready to jump on the victim bandwagon for Nat Service ever to work as it once did which was turning boys into men with pride through hard work, marching, comradeship etc
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 03:04 PM

I missed it by only about one year and it scared me having to join up at that time. Yes I do think a bit of discipline wouldn't go amiss, even if only for a year.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 03:04 PM

No No twinkie - solo is saying you will never get them into any service - so how can any forces show them what discipline really is???
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 03:07 PM

I think it would be a good idea but I think it would have to be instead of further education not as well as.
So unless they were studying for Uni or at a college learning a trade/skill they would do a stint in one of the Forces.
No other choice.
solo
UK

24-07-2018, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
No No twinkie - solo is saying you will never get them into any service - so how can any forces show them what discipline really is???
Of there are many that would join for the fun of it then squeal blue murder about cruelty the moment they were asked to do a march with full gear.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top