Join for free
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 03:28 PM

Re: National Service

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
No! l don’t think it would be a good idea, at all! We are in the 21st Century now.
Those days have gone, kids today are different. It wouldn’t work.

Next, people will be saying, ‘Bring back the birch’ and ‘Flog ‘em’.
Many teens are bored out of their skulls and do stupid things which end up causing trouble. Surely doing something like National Service which gets them off the street, teaches them team work, problem solving and pride in themselves is a better alternative !
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
I know a few at our school who would benefit from a damned good thrashing!
yes please ; yes please me first!!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 03:32 PM

I prefer the idea of a set period of Community Service to be completed between the ages of 16-21.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

I don't think a national service of a military nature is a good idea, but one which helps the local communities might be worth considering.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
All of my contemporaries had done it.

I never met one who complained. All of my mates have loads of great stories to tell (over and over - but OK) and all felt very much better for having had done it.

I went into the MN at 18 and was exempt (as were Scholars at UNI). Coming out of the MN, after being married etc, in the very early 1960s was a worry and I still got one of the last sets of call up papers. Didn't go because Call up ceased just as I was getting ready to do time in the RN.

Would have been difficult, for a married man with a mortgage and children,to get by on a couple of pounds a week - for two years.

If it did come back I hope that it would never be set up as a punishment, for some crime or other, but as a genuine training plan run by the military and used appropriately.

Well said Ted but even the lads that took National Service instead of a prison term did well and were thankful for the opportunity it gave them. It turned many lives around in more ways than one.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

I know a few at our school who would benefit from a damned good thrashing!

Maybe so but l don’t think being called up would help them, they would go AWOL on the first day!
Not all young people are bad but the good ones get tarred with the same brush.

Who in their right mind would join up to become ‘gun fodder’, to spend years, maybe fighting for their country and come home and get no recognition. Look in any town centre to see homeless ex military people begging on the street for a living.

Most wars will be fought in the air now, only a few humans will be required to fire the missiles.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 03:33 PM

Gumster
You could make reading a phone directory seem lewd!

give me ya phone number and I'll try!! 69 69 69 comes to mind!!
solo
UK

24-07-2018, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
give me ya phone number and I'll try!! 69 69 69 comes to mind!!

Another end to a decent topic
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I prefer the idea of a set period of Community Service to be completed between the ages of 16-21.
I like that idea Ruthio
but if people refused what could anyone do about it?
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Another end to a decent topic
We have to make allowances for Gumbuds Solo!

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top