Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 10:16 AM

Re: The old Brits dreams of retirement

Originally Posted by Panda ->
Having always lived next to the sea albeit in different parts of the country we'd never consider moving in land. And for us location really is everything, much rather forego the big house for a smaller one overlooking the sea oh and of course the roses round the porch
I think I have always been destined to live by the sea. Currently, I am only five miles away so I'm getting closer but ideally, the sea would be outside my window.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 10:29 AM

yes inland doesn't feel right - coast feel fresh and easy to get away from! - my seaside treat as a lad was New Brighton then in all it's blaze and glory and for us kids magical we couldn't believe real sea and sand was just a ferry away.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 10:39 AM

I wouldn't wish to be too close to the sea these days, due to the elements. I prefer to be a good few miles inland.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 10:56 AM

It's London for me. I'm a short bus ride from Hyde Park, my playground. I go there almost daily but it's too hot for that at the moment. I've put an album together HERE ... mostly recent but not all. I will be adding lots more. I'm looking forward to doing some misty landscape type shots later in the year. Long exposures and ghosts.

London has good memories for me, but I see it very differently now I'm retired, going to galleries instead of gigs, chemotherapy instead of cannabistherapy. We don't like isolation, if we moved out it would be to a town centre, maybe a seaside town.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 11:03 AM

well my 'dream' to be maybe shattered is retirement in a seaside town - are suppose they will of course all be different which ever part of the coast - which parts of the british coast appeal to you? - pics welcome! - I do wish paul theroux had taken some!
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 11:05 AM

On a peninsula so surrounded by sea and two rivers. Wouldn't have it any other way .

This is my local beach and it's never any different. 5 mins away.

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 11:09 AM

Best choose well.

The University of Durham looked at levels of land uplift and subsidence in the British isles since the Ice Age. As the ice retreated 20,000 years ago the release of the enormous weight meant the north slowly tilted up while the south sank down. Scotland is still experiencing this "springboard" effect while southern Ireland, Wales and England continues to sink.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ear...new-study.html

Subsidence and rising sea levels will have implications for people and habitats, and will require action to manage resorts, industrial sites, ports, beaches, salt marshes and wetlands, wildlife and bird migrations," he said.

:: Areas of falling land and rising sea levels:

Somerset, Cornwall and Devon

Dorset, Hampshire and Sussex

Kent and Essex

Suffolk and Norfolk

The Wash

Humberside and North Lincolnshire

Shetland Islands.

South Wales

Southern Ireland

Western Ireland

:: Areas with little land-level change:

North Yorkshire; Cleveland

Mid Wales

:: Areas of rising land levels include:

Tyne and Wear

Northumberland coast, Berwickshire, East Lothian,

The Firth of Forth and the Moray Forth

Fife, Aberdeenshire, Caithness

Minch and the Western Isles

Argyll, Ayrshire and the Solway Firth

Northern Irish coast

Isle of Man

Cumbria, Lancashire and Merseyside

North Wales
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 11:17 AM

A cottage by the sea is a lovely idea, but now way out of most peoples price ranges.
I feel sorry for locals who can't afford to stay in the areas they were brought up in. Mainly due to 2nd home owners buying them at London prices.
I love Devon & though I have no sea views here, (well I can if I walk up a very steep hill for half a mile to Dartmoor), we are only a few miles from the sea & can get to it easily by car.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 11:18 AM

Retirement anywhere is fine, as long as it's not In-Continent.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
well my 'dream' to be maybe shattered is retirement in a seaside town - are suppose they will of course all be different which ever part of the coast - which parts of the british coast appeal to you? - pics welcome!
Hove, next door to brighton, plenty to do and see.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top